ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M37 follower is binding
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

My early 70's 12ga M37 has a steel magazine cup that frequently binds at the mouth of the magazine tube after the last shell is ejected. The follower cup is steel and magazine tube is smooth and clean, no crud or rust.

Nevertheless I cleaned the mag tube and used some steel wool on the rim of the follower cup to smooth the somewhat sharp edge.

However, the follower cup is still getting stuck at the mouth of the mag tube.

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: M37 follower is binding
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

I like to tinker, so I’d probably try altering the follower. If I didn’t like to tinker, I’d go to Ithaca’s website and order a new follower, which after enough tinkering With the original, I’d probably have to do anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:08 am 
Limited Edition

There is a step inside that magazine tube that may need to be sharpened up. I have a ream that does that, and should cure that for good. Thanx!

Les Hovencamp
www.diamondgunsmithing.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:52 am 
Tournament Grade

There are both factory and after market plastic followers available. I really don't like plastic parts in the action of a firearm but you might try one of these.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:52 am 
Crown Grade

Is your gun one of the ones that has has a "roll crimp" instead of a pressed in bushing at the end of the magazine tube ? I don't know exactly what year that came about. I need to know this before answering your question.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

drcook wrote:
Is your gun one of the ones that has has a "roll crimp" instead of a pressed in bushing at the end of the magazine tube ? I don't know exactly what year that came about. I need to know this before answering your question.

Thanks Doc, I presume you are referring to the constriction at the loading end of the tube. I looked and darned if i can tell the difference or know what I'm looking for. The gun is from 1972 if that helps?...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:15 am 
Crown Grade

If a "roll crimp" there will be a ring rolled into the magazine tube. If you stick your finger into it and push the follower back, you will feel a small hump.

In a "bushing" type magazine tube, the mag tube is cylindrical end to end, and an insert has been machined and pushed into the end. If you insert your finger, you can feel the smaller diameter at least 5/8" long.

The roll indent has a form like this (the red line, if the mag tube was cut in half lengthwise you would see the rolled in section)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:21 am 
Crown Grade

Also, have you cleaned the inside of the tube ? I take a piece of 3/8" wooden dowel rod (because that is what fits in my drill) cut a slit in the end, use some 0000 (quad zero) NOTHING coarser steel wool, insert in the slot, spray some gun type cleaning oil into the magazine tube and run the steel wool (spinning it with the drill) up and down the tube. You would be surprised how much dirt, rust, crud you can find.

I have bought guns that looked super nice on the outside and everywhere but inside the magazine tube it was rusty and dirty. Most folks don't clean and oil the inside of the magazine as much as they do the other parts of the gun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:13 am 
Diamond Grade

The magazine tube spring followers changed so much over the years. I was just taking two guns apart today and here we have a 1938 one and a 1973 one. The 38 is on the left. The bigger one. Pre-war 37 parts are just a lot nicer. I have seen nothing but problems with the plastic ones. Seen one that was all smashed up. Others embedded in the spring.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:19 am 
Crown Grade

You can follow the progression of cost cutting by looking at the parts. It was the roll crimp design change that I am talking about above that contributed to them dumping shells. I asked at the factory what they do when refitting new mag tubes to old receivers and they told me they ream out the shoulder that was where the original mag tube with pressed in bushing butted up against, making for a smooth transition into the feed fingers, shell retainers.

It was right then when I understood why you hear about the new guns not feeding well, being hyper critical of the adjustments of those parts as well as dumping shells.

I have never felt the transition of a new gun at that point, but if they are reaming out old receivers, they must have done something to their new guns.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks again Doc. Its the bushing type. Tube is clean as a whistle. This is the follower:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:30 am 
Crown Grade

Now that we all know what you have and that there is no dirt or debris causing it, please explain

Quote:
However, the follower cup is still getting stuck at the mouth of the mag tube.

Do you mean it hangs up when trying to push it back in, such as when feeding shells in ?

Anyway to get a picture of what is happening ?

Is that a wear spot, burr that is about in the middle of the bushing ?

Do you have a dial caliper so that you can measure the 2 diameters ?

That way Matt can compare the dimensions to his.

If you want to just take a chance (and this would be a good diagnostic) that it is the follower that is the problem, here is one for $10.00. Just replace it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ithaca-37-Maga ... SwiDxfiF6C

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Doc,

Upon the last shell leaving the magazine, the follower is getting stuck in the magazine mouth and requires considerable thumb force to free it so that shells can be inserted. Seems to me that the "rim" of the follower is getting wedged in the constricted portion of the tube. Unfortunately I don't have a caliper that will fit into the tube to get an ID.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

Looks like the mouth of the follower is flared a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:11 am 
Crown Grade

I meant of the follower itself not inside the magazine tube. The diameters of your follower.

I just remembered that I replaced the red plastic one with a steel one in my 12ga. Yours should measure .860 to .870 ish on the smaller diameter (it is tapered a little) and .910 on the larger diameter.

Mine agrees with the overall length that you show.

Have you felt for a burr, sharp edge inside the magazine tube itself? If you have the correct, undamaged follower with no burrs or anything inside, it should work fine.

I have seen followers that were damaged by incorrectly sized magazine plugs. The originals were 5/8's on the 12s and 16 gauge guns. I saw a home made one that would have caused the follower to be belled out if an extra shell was tried to be forced in, or just the forces of recoil having put one in the chamber, a full mag and firing the gun.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:33 pm 
Crown Grade

ohio mike wrote:
Looks like the mouth of the follower is flared a bit.

it is going to be a little. these are "drawn down" metal stampings. there has to be some draft for them to come out of the form die

wouldn't hurt anyway as it goes through the rest of the tube fine

my 12ga one also has a little flare

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:51 am 
Crown Grade

Any followup ? Resolution ?