ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca 600 Trap mfg. date?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:23 am 
Field Grade

SKB-manufactured Ithaca Trap, from 1966 to somewhere in the early-to-mid 70s. Any idea what year it might be? Serial #S 5648052.

My guess is that it's from the first 5 or so years, since the catalog images seem to have shifted from silver to black receivers around 1970, but I'm not sure. SKB USA doesn't have any of the old Ithaca records.

Post subject: Re: Ithaca 600 Trap mfg. date?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I thought they shifted the other way. That is, from the early blued receivers to the later silver ones.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:32 am 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
I thought they shifted the other way. That is, from the early blued receivers to the later silver ones.

That was my understanding, as well.

I'm sure that the earliest guns had hand engraving, while the later ones used a different process.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:37 am 
Field Grade

lossking wrote:

You're right!

I had based my guess on this 1966 catalog, which LOOKED silver, but probably wasn't:

But as you suspected, 1975 was DEFINITELY silver:

1970 was also possibly either -- it kind of looks like a silver receiver with a black top lever, which is what i have. I had assumed the lever was an aftermarket replacement:

Hmm. Maybe it's a 1970.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

painter* wrote:
lossking wrote:

That was my understanding, as well.

I'm sure that the earliest guns had hand engraving, while the later ones used a different process.

You're right about that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

Welcome cormacf. I have been collecting Ithaca shotguns with a minor in SKB imports for awhile now. Things I have learned: 1) there are no serial number records. 2) The early guns were blued and hand engraved... very sparsely. Later they got more engraving. 3) Blued guns went from hand engraving to a machine "roll pressed" method of decoration (I can't call that engraving). 4) From blued receivers, Ithaca switched to coin finish (silver) receivers. Note: some of the early ones, especially in 700, 800 and 880 series were hand engraved. Most were "roll pressed" however. 5) Serial numbers start with either CM or S. There is no explanation that I have ever found of what the letters mean. 6) The vast majority that I have seen or own, have a model number that matches the first number in the serial number array. Your S 564XXX should be a model 500, not a model 600.
I have an early Model 600 Magnum with 3" chambers, both full choke (scarce configuration) with the original bill of sale showing a serial number CM 618031 and purchase date of April 1969. I wish I had more like it so I could create a data base of possible dates of manufacture.
SKB has archived most of the Ithaca and SKB catalogs online if you want to look at all of the variations https://www.skbshotguns.com/owner-support/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:30 am 
Crown Grade

FWIW, my 600 trap has an S prefix serial number.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:38 pm 
Crown Grade

ithacaskbfan wrote:
....I have an early Model 600 Magnum with 3" chambers, both full choke (scarce configuration) with the original bill of sale showing a serial number CM 618031 and purchase date of April 1969. I wish I had more like it so I could create a data base of possible dates of manufacture.../

Here's another year and S/N for your file, I purchased my Model 700 Trap NIB from an FFL friend in 1968, MSRP was $395.00. Paid $318.00. Frame is silver and hand engraved. S/N is CM7024xx.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

SKB Fan - while I understand your reluctance to call the later SKB silver finish "engraving" , which it certainly was not, at least in the traditional sense. However, I would suggest it's unfair to term it "pressed" - it's not that either. I believe the proper description is " acid etched".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:37 pm 
Crown Grade

nesto wrote:
SKB Fan - while I understand your reluctance to call the later SKB silver finish "engraving" , which it certainly was not, at least in the traditional sense. However, I would suggest it's unfair to term it "pressed" - it's not that either. I believe the proper description is " acid etched".

Yes, acid etched.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

nesto wrote:

Yes, Al, you are correct. I knew that but it was in a file in my brain that denied me access! The SKB engravers were actually quite good. I have seen some early Model 700 and 800's with hand cut engraving that are very nice. No matter how they are adorned, SKB over unders are a great value. Hope you are doing well Al. Hopefully you had a chance to chase grouse this year too.