ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Retrofitting Vintage Model 37 Into a "DEERSLAYER"
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Diamond Gunsmithing has my original Model 37.

An overzealous kid overtightened the magazine nut and years later the barrel lug came off, and of course this happened when Ithaca was floating in and out of receivership.

Had I known better we probably could have re-soldered it back on but I had it welded, and that didn't turn out so well.

Then I finally sent my 37 to Ithaca King Ferry for a new 26 inch VR choke tubed barrel and wood. I'm not impressed with what they did. The wood is nice but all I wanted was a plain stock and ringed forearm. There's a blind whole in the barrel lug and the magazine nut could not be tightened correctly.

So then there's an early "DEERSLAYER" barrel listed on eBay and I buy it. Well it fit but with way too much headspace. My brother says just shoot it, until I read about a surplus Model 37 blowing up because it had the wrong barrel in it. I hit these Forums for answers. It seems impossible to get onto Ithaca Gun Owners Forum. So I picked up bits and pieces of information and contacted Les. Send it in was his reply, and my beloved Ithaca Model 37 that dad bought me is in the process of becoming a vintage "DEERSLAYER".

Post subject: Re: Retrofitting Vintage Model 37 Into a "DEERSLAYER"
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:56 pm 
Crown Grade

A Deerslayer barrel I bought at a gun show for my ca.1985 20ga M-37 Deluxe with only a bit of fitting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:45 am 
Utility Grade

Although dad bought my 37 new for my 16th b-day in 1970, it is a 1959 37, way before the 855,000 barrel interchangeability. The forend you have is what is going onto my 37 when it returns home. I had a 37 Deluxe 20 gauge like yours but with the longer barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:27 am 
Crown Grade

You sent it to Ithaca for a new barrel. From what I read into your posts, it was a pre-855,000 gun.

So did Ithaca cut out the threads and install a bushing ? Or are the now doing it the correct way and cutting threads on a barrel blank.

If they put in a bushing, how is Les going to fix it for an early barrel ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:03 am 
Crown Grade

Dave, I don't think King Ferry was removing receiver threads. I believe this was a Sandusky innovation. So Les should be able to properly fi the Deerslayer barrel if the threads are compatible.

Last edited by ithacanut on Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:09 am 
Utility Grade

King Ferry told me they still had barrels for the pre 855,000 Ithaca 37. This was almost twenty years ago now. The new King Ferry barrel is serial numbered to my receiver. The Deerslayer barrel would thread into my receiver but with a dangerous amount of headspace. Les @ Diamond Gunsmithing seemed pretty sure he could re-fit the Deerslayer to my receiver.

What Ithaca Sandusky does may seem like an innovation but it renders the original barrel obsolete.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:27 pm 
Crown Grade

kenhwind wrote:
I had a 37 Deluxe 20 gauge like yours but with the longer barrel.

I still have my M-37's issue plain barrel (28" mod choked) stored in my safe.

I haven't used the 28" bbl since I installed the Deerslayer bbl a couple of decades ago.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:59 am 
Crown Grade

ithacanut wrote:
Dave, I don't think King Ferry was removing receiver threads. I believe this was a Sandusky innovation. So Les should be able to properly fi the Deerslayer barrel if the threads are compatible.

Yes I misread that ! Missed the "King Ferry" part. Didn't catch he was talking about an action in the the distant past.

My bad.

Glossing through it, I read "sent it to Ithaca for a new barrrel and wasn't happy". Interpreted that as sending it to Ithaca here in Ohio, who does cut out the original threads and install a bushing.

They also ream out the shoulder left when they install a new magazine tube. They told me that. That makes the presentation of the shell to the shell handlers a lot more sloppy.

In fact I own a Rotoforged King Ferry barrel that was threaded for an earlier receiver. They did it the correct way back then. My barrel was fitted originally to an different gun. Somewhere along the way, it was separated from that gun and then refitted to a 1949 solid rib gun I own.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:05 am 
Utility Grade

CriscoKid wrote:
kenhwind wrote:
I had a 37 Deluxe 20 gauge like yours but with the longer barrel.

I still have my M-37's issue plain barrel (28" mod choked) stored in my safe.

I haven't used the 28" bbl since I installed the Deerslayer bbl a couple of decades ago.

I had a 28 inch modified choke VR barrel for the 20 gauge I had. Not to shabby on the Trap field.