ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Empty Shells in the chamber?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:41 am 
Utility Grade

Hey all,

I'm wondering if it would be all right to load a couple empty/used shells into my M37? Would they feed though ok? Jam?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Empty Shells in the chamber?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Nope - the opened crimp will cause a mis-feed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:19 pm 
Utility Grade

That makes sense...thanks a bunch.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:01 pm 
Utility Grade

It will work if you fold the crimp back in.
I read in the military WWII shotgun manual to do that but back then the shotshell hulls were paper so it was easy.
I have MEC reloading presses so I just took an empty and folded the crimp back like I was crimping a reloaded shell and the crimp folded back inside.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey, that's good to know. If I can crimp one adequately, I may give it a try...If I have to make the acquaintance of a gunsmith right after, that'll be a lesson learned.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Could always buy some Azoom training rounds

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Definitely planning on getting some real training rounds. Actually need to buy some live rounds first. Only have 2 at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:16 am 
Crown Grade

what are you trying to do ? what is the purpose of running the empties through ?

You can fold the crimp back in and true it up, HOWEVER, if the empties came from a different gun, the head may have expanded beyond the typical tight chambers for an Ithaca, which will result in a jam.

I have created dummy shells, but I took the barrel off and gently tried dropping them into the chamber first.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:24 am 
Utility Grade

Okay I should have realized that with my MEC press I can resize the shotshell hull.

Brownell's might sell some actual dummy rounds, but imo snap caps and dummy rounds are not necessarily the same.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:27 am 
Crown Grade

AZOOMS are actually training rounds, although many use them for snap caps. Whatever you decide, do not buy those cheap read and clear plastic snap caps; they break way too easily.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:44 am 
Crown Grade

Ithacas will rip the rim off aluminum snap caps/dummy shells. I have some in 16ga that I use for testing firing pins. You put a piece of tape over the little rubber insert and the firing pin will leave an indentation in the tape.

You can make dummy rounds by putting silicone caulk into the primer hole and letting it harden. That will give the firing pin some cushion. Since you have a press, just build dummy rounds. You even could put some shot in and use sawdust for the powder, that way they will have the right weight and size.

Just mark them with something very visual so that there is no mistake for what they are or aren't.

Go to the hobby shop and get some orange model paint and paint some stripes or something on them. Just something to differentiate a dummy round from a real one.