ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need New Stock for Model 37 - 1938
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:08 pm 
Field Grade

I picked up a gorgeous 16 gauge Model 37 1938 production. Bluing is as deep and blue as any of my guns that cost far more money. Forend is in great condition as well but gun has two issues. The first issue is unfixable which is in the form of a Polychoke (the worst thing to happen to beautiful American field guns in th 20th century). The second is the stock is a mess. It has an enormous crack and large chip missing and requires replacement. I could go new but would prefer older if available.

Is the 16 gauge stock the same size as stock used on 12 and 20? Can anyone recommend a source for new or used replacement stock for a 37 of that vintage? I didn't know if there was a source or a gunsmith who may have accumulated some Ithaca parts and wood over the years.

Post subject: Re: Need New Stock for Model 37 - 1938
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Each gauge of the M-37 has its own specification dimensions. e.g. a 12 is larger than a 16, etc. Finding an original 16 ga. pre war butt stock is next to impossible. I strongly suggest hiring a good gun wood repair man to do a repair. A new stock can be had (Frank Valone, Sycamore Hills guns, Victor, NY for one) but will probably cost you more than you paid for the gun.
Don't turn you nose up at the Polychoke until you have some experience with it. They DO WORK. My 1956 $250 M-37 with a Poly breaks the targets as well or better than my $20,000 Grade 7E NID. Not as pretty BUT just as effect.
Good luck with. your project. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Agree with Walt on the Poly. My very favorite gun is a prewar R with a Poly in 16 gauge. Would like to see a picture of your stock. I do have a prewar 16 stock thats a project but it's not for sale. Was really,really bad when I bought it for $100.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

Turnbull in Bloomfield NY can probably help as well.

We had some prewar 37 wood that got damaged really bad in shipment. Dings, cracks, breaks. It was ugly. 20 and 16 gauge trap wood. Replacements were not an option. Can't find them.

Turnbull did an awesome job. Basically unnoticeable. Not cheap, but with this work you tend to get what you pay for.

Good luck. Prewar field grade and skeet grade are a little easier to find but in 16 and 20 it's going to take awhile. Almost better off buying a whole gun. You could find a nice postwar one and use it until a replacement could be found.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:56 pm 
Crown Grade

I have some 16ga stocks that I would sell. I do NOT have a pre-war one though. Let me know if you are interested.

One of them is a late 50's early 60's but has cut checkering. It has never been on a gun outside the house. It was in the wrapper when I acquired it. I have test fit it to a gun.

One issue you are probably going to have is the length of the tang on the back of the trigger pack. Being an early gun, it will be a long tang.

At this point I don't know/remember if the long tangs will work with newer stocks.

PM me if you are interested.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:33 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the replies and that's pretty much what I expected to hear. Chances are I will take up drcrook on his stock offer. I'm going to pull mine off and see if there's hope but it's in pretty bad shape - see pics. As far as Polychokes go, Lord knows my family has purchased more than their fair share of them over the years and I agree they are extremely functional. I just wish they weren't so ugly. I guess my ancestors never dreamed we'd be seeking out good old American field guns one day to collect as well as shoot when they had them installed. I'm truly thankful that Polychoke didn't make models that would fit SxS and O/U guns :). I'm pretty sure my 1935 20 gauge NID wouldn't look nearly as good.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

Watcha gonna do with the old stock?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:29 am 
Crown Grade

I could fix that. So could professional stock makers. Of course I would like to sell one of the extra stocks I have, I could reinvest the money back into go fast parts for the Corvette I am working on.

If you want to give it a go at fixing it yourself, well what is there to lose ? A few bucks for some good glue, some spray lacquer to redo the stock, so Acra-glass. IE: a whole lot less than buying a stock.

I would take the time on one or more phone calls with you on how to go about fixing it.

There are professionals that could add walnut pieces into the chips, but once again, the cost would far exceed what you paid and the value of your gun.

Either way you want, get a private msg to me and we can proceed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:04 am 
Field Grade

Thanks drcook - that sounds promising and I'm up for the challenge. I'd love to stay with original if possible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:42 pm 
Crown Grade

so hit the pm button, send me your phone number and we will start. tell me what time zone you are on and when is the best time to call you

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:48 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks drcook - I'll be in touch when I get a few minutes and I appreciate your help. One other question for all - did Ithaca ever use the red sunburst Ithaca recoil pad on the model 37's? I just ordered a pretty close to original repro sunburst from Connecticut shotgun to replace the dead original one on my NID 20. The LOP is so short on this 37 (13 1/4) that I'd like to add 3/4" inch sunburst pad to this as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:05 am 
Utility Grade

I'd also be inclined to fix this stock. I don't really have the patience to do it anymore but its worth saving. A piece of wood could be inlet into where the chunk is gone unless you have that piece. the crack is bad enough that the stock can be spread open enough to get a good repair.

Yes on the Sunburst recoil pads. One is going on my 37 when I get it back from Diamond Gunsmithing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:45 am 
Crown Grade

kenhwind, take a good look, there is more than just that piece gone.it is also cracked out down by the trigger pack inlet. The wood also (from the pictures) has the black look of being oil soaked.

Fixing the crack is easy. There is now gel consistency super glue. I simply tape the stocks up so glue doesn't get out on the outside, wedge the stocks open with toothpics, get the glue inside and then heavy duty rubber band them close.

The worse part is going to be if the stock is soaked full of oil. Getting that out (at least for me) ruined the lacquer finish.

It is all going to depend on how much of a project the OP is wanting to do and is qualified to do. Not everyone can inlet a chunk of wood in there and get it to where it doesn't have seams that stick out like a sore thumb or worse yet, make it in the process of cutting more wood

Sometimes it is just easier to strip the finish, soak the stock in acetone, along with paint stripper and baby powder packed into the mortice to leach out the oil.

Fix the crack and use Acra-Glass dyed brown to build up the chipped out area then recontour it.

The key is going to be what the OP can do.

I do agree the bestest way to fix a busted out stock is to flatten the spot out, glue a piece of walnut on then reshape and refinish the end. The lacquer can be blended in (you can still get spray wood lacquer), the stain can be gotten close enough.

This is what a mortice area looks like after the oil has been leached out. There are actually 2 different stocks there, one was cracked. Both were soaked with oil.

After acra-glassing, or gluing on and refinishing little pieces of walnut, the cutouts for the stock to seat on the receiver are going to have to be restored.

It can be a fun project.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:11 am 
Field Grade

Im pretty handy, have nice tools and love making cool old things new again - boats, trucks, old Penn fishing tackle ect. I'm excited to jump in. I will pull stock tonight and gets some pics up of keya areas. Photos should also somewhat reveal degree of oil intrusion. I don't mind soaking to get it out if needed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:43 am 
Crown Grade

I believe it is a 7/16 12 point socket, 3/8 drive that you will need to remove the stock. It is a square head bolt, but does have a screw driver slot. Just get a socket on it. Square head = 4 corners, divides evenly into 12 (ie: no x.xx times). The other kind of socket that will work are those funny looking 8 point ones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:03 am 
Field Grade

Here are some epics. There's another smaller crack on side with appears in pic. I tried and it will spread enough to get glue in there. There are additional areas of missing walnut where stock meets receiver. I'm shocked at what great condition receiver and bluing are on this gun given the stock conditition. I'm tempted to first strip all this nasty old laquer off so I can see what I'm really working with here? Thought on that? Any particular product favored for stripping it? I would do forend as well so it matched stock. Forend is gorgeous.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:00 pm 
Crown Grade

I soak them in acetone. Get a aluminum foil pan, and submerge the stock. It will try and float. You will need to hold it down.

Tightly cover the pan with more aluminum foil so it doesn't evaporate. Acetone will not soak into the wood. It will be the first step in getting that oil out.

DO NOT DO any glueing yet. We need to get old finish off and oil out before you start thinking about that.

You can put the stock/pan out doors, in the shed, barn whatever. Acetone won't freeze if you live where its cold.

Avoid getting too much if any acetone on you. It goes straight to your liver. Acetone and other enhanced hydrocarbons are not good for the human body. That is why you don't want it in the house.

You should be able to get that stock back to where it is usable and won't crack again. It won't be 100 percent, but it will work if you take your time.

The acetone is going to leach the stain out also and sort of bleach the wood. It will look like this.

The 2nd pic is a set I finished. This set was done with tru-oil. Most of the others I have done were with stain and lacquer.

The 3rd is if you give up and want a new stock,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Stock damage as your photos show are from shooting with a loose stock.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:33 pm 
Field Grade

I agree with the "loose stock" assessment Ithacanut. What a shame. Just glad I got to this thing before it turned into rusty wall hanger. I just submerged the patient in acetone bath about an hour ago. How will I know when to pull it out? I'm probably going to disassemble forend as well and let it go for a dip so the two wood pieses look alike. Drcrook your stock done with tru oil is a knockout. That's definately the look I prefer. Also drcrook - should I send you a personal message for your advice or should I continue to correspond through the thread? Don't want to bore anybody with this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Its easier and better to call. Send me a ph nbr via pm and I will call you. I will hit you with a text first so you recognize my nbr

You will need to soak it for a few days. It has probably already stripped the lacquer off. It will start going after the oil. There will still need to be more after the acetone bath to get that oil out.

The reason why Ithaca 37 stocks get full of oil is because the back of the receiver is open, people squirt oil in there and then store them standing muzzle up. Said oil drains back into stock.