ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M37 left hand safety
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:00 am 
Utility Grade

I’m privileged to have my father’s 1948 16ga M37. He was a lefty and loved several things about the Ithaca (quality, light weight, and bottom ejection being foremost) but couldn’t afford one. So after spending the entire war in the Pacific he waited and saved until he could afford a new M37. My question: the gun has a poly choke and a left hand safety. Were these available as factory options or did he have to have them added after he bought the gun?

Post subject: Re: M37 left hand safety
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

You could order a 37 back then pretty much how you wanted it. Those options were common and available in the catalogs.

Not sure if you could determine where he bought the gun originally? That work also could have been after the fact as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Left handed safety was probably factory original as ordered. I have a 1956 M-37 with a Poly that was ordered that way by the customer. Ithaca sent the gun to the PolyChoke company for the installation and then shipped it to the customer. So it could go either way. :D

Last edited by ithacanut on Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Ithacamatt was quicker on the draw than I but at least we are in agreement. {hs#

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm always in agreement with you Walt!!

Hope all is well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks to you both, gentleman. Some agreement is a good thing (especially in this day).

This M37 is in original condition and a fine shooter. It is not a safe queen and has plenty of honest field marks on it, some of which are mine. The fact that it is still in our family is grace. Shortly after my father gave it to me, a couple of teenagers down the road broke into his home and stole all of his guns. None were ever recovered but at least the Ithaca was safe.

I treasure this gun and recognize that it is the lodestone that drew me down the Ithaca road and especially to an appreciation of the Fall Creek era double guns.

I have four grandsons. How my Ithacas end up seeding the ground of their lives is yet to be seen. But I know where this M37 is going. The oldest grandson is a lefty.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:11 pm 
Crown Grade

FWIW, a safety change from right to left or left to right is a rather easy 'do.'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

+1
My oldest son is a lefty & he is the owner of the ‘49 20 gauge that I used to shoot right handed. The switch job is kind of fun if you’re into mechanical stuff.