ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 37R
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:13 pm 
Field Grade

Finally found a 20ga 37R, this one serial numbered to 1957, and there is some material at the threaded portion of the barrel which the seller surmised may be left from the rib attaching process. Anybody else find this with their R barrel?

A black pad was installed at some point, LOP matches my 1951 20ga with its plastic plate but it's an eyesore that will be greatly improved with a new Sunburst pad. Are they all the same item, whether from CSMC or any other source?

Not a fan of the Raybar sight so that will likely get a plain bead replacement, but having these two side-by-side illustrates for me the stock changes made between the guns with the new one missing comb flutes and a grip cap plus the shaping that went along with those differences.

Post subject: Re: 37R
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:25 am 
Crown Grade

If you're interested in keeping the pad correct, I would suggest leaving the issue Raybar front sight in situ.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:21 am 
Diamond Grade

The reproduction sunburst pads come in large and small.

I think by 57' they were using up the inventory of aluminum based Sunbursts. They definitely still put them on the higher grade guns up into the 60's. These are not available as repros. Every once in awhile one pops up on eBay.

They were also using a thinner pad marked Ithaca at that time. Then I believe the "Woodcock" pad came along.

The Raybar is correct for that time frame. It should be the longer one with two bands. 6/48 thread. Not sure how hard it will be to find a proper brass bead.

Good luck. They are nice guns.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Matt, if you can measure the bead diameter for him on a gun, here are some vintage beads that probably will work

https://www.ebay.com/c/1931921133

I would have to dig into the back of the safe, but I have a stress fractured ankle and don't feel like it today. Its getting better, but I am couch potato'ing this afternoon.

If you don't have one I will get a gun out.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

Looks like number 4 would be about right.