ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cannot get stock bolt out of mod. 37
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:44 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a mod. 37 featherlight 16 I bought a couple of years ago. I attempted to take the stock off and the bolt is not like all the ones I have seen. I own a 20 and have no problem using a screwdriver of socket. However, this has a bolt I have never seen before. Not a hex head, not slotted. Looks like a socket with some type of allen wrench key in the center. The outer part is chrome and the center is black. Nothing I have fits, how the heck do I take it off and what do I use?
The gun is all factory and was bought as new, but I think was made in the 90s

Post subject: Re: cannot get stock bold out of mod. 37
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:39 am 
Crown Grade

Does it look like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Torx-Star-Female ... 2736297778

If so, it is a Torx bolt.

or is it more an allen head bolt, so one of these would work

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-dri ... gJ7tPD_BwE

anyway you can use a flashlight and get a picture with your phone ?

Post subject: Re: cannot get stock bold out of mod. 37
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:03 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

Post subject: Re: HELP cannot get stock bold out of mod. 37
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:44 pm 
Utility Grade

It looks like a socket with a hex inset so a tool would need to fit in the socket looking part deep enough to reach the center that has the hex looking nut inset into it. the center looks like the back end of a power driver bit, but the part that inserts into the drill. Loved gun until NOW. Needs full break down, full of super fine road [color=#0000FF][/color]dust and action is sticking bad.

Post subject: Re: cannot get stock bolt out of mod. 37
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

Jack this is very strange.Would the gun be Ohio made by chance?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:19 am 
Crown Grade

On their website, they show the correct bolt layout

https://ithacagun.com/product/bolt-stock-all-gauges-5/

The last post I put on here mysteriously disappeared. It was late last night.

Somehow there has to be a picture taken of this. It is going to be a pain. I hesitate to say this, but go buy one of these, take one picture and take it back (or keep it, after all it is going to be less expensive than buying a new stock because you had to split that one to get it off)

https://www.harborfreight.com/27-in-col ... 64623.html

We are all playing Carnac the Magnificent (at least I am) until I can see what you are seeing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnac_the_Magnificent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:18 am 
Diamond Grade

Try the extention that holds the bits for your drill.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:17 am 
Crown Grade

are you saying you see one of these down in there ? the 6 sided hex end ? maybe stuck down into a socket that is stuck on the end of the square bolt ?

sometimes a socket will hang up when tightening and wedge itself against the bore and pull off the extension. I have a stock that does that sometimes. loosening it allows the socket to come out. if someone didn't know that, they could have left a stack up of tools down in there

if so, you are going to need a smaller socket setup to get it out.

or just take it to a gunsmith if it is above your mechanical ability to figure it out

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:51 am 
Field Grade

I wonder as posted if there is a socket stuck inside the stock bolt hole.
My King Ferry Ithaca 16 gauge has the hex bolt as shown above.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:13 pm 
Crown Grade

The OP hasn't been back for days. If you look at his profile. At this point we are just talking to ourselves.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

I ran into something like this once. I turned the project upside down, gave the thing a tap with the heel of my hand and the parts dropped onto my workbench. In that case I was dealing with a socket though, not a whole tool kit.

Wonder if the OP got it wrangled. Shame he hasn’t updated us.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:56 pm 
Crown Grade

I think the OP is gone. Not been back (at least not been back and signed on) since the 25th (look at the OP's profile).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the input, but gave up and put gun back together. i took photos but not much good hard to see even with light. However, not a socket the gun was new in the box and never fired when i bought it, new old stock. looks nothing like the bolt in the picture which is the same one in my 20. if i feel like messing with it i may post the pics i took. talked to a smith and he said there is some type of pain in the a$$ bolt that requires a special tool. Don't know if true but plan on taking to a smith.