ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model 37 Magazine Tube/Barrel Swap?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:15 pm 
Field Grade

I have a parkerized 37 M & P 5 round and acquired a 7 round magazine tube and barrel off of eBay. Is it feasible to swap magazine tubes to convert my 5 shot into an 8 shot or should I leave well enough alone?

Post subject: Re: Model 37 Magazine Tube/Barrel Swap?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:06 pm 
Crown Grade

You have to be careful about removing the old one without damaging it. Then the new one has to be turned in until it bottoms out. Is there a barrel yoke with that setup ? If so, a new relief for the the screw that tightens the barrel yoke will need to be filed into the magazine tube. There are actually drill bits that were used to do this, but I file them, by first marking them with a needle file and then using a chain saw blade file of the correct diameter (there are some that will match the screw shank diameter and carefully filing, testing, filing testing until the screw goes in and correctly orientates the yoke.

I looked at this one on Gunbroker and it has a yoke and screw.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/881857344

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:15 pm 
Field Grade

The barrel and magazine tube are the same type as the ones on GB.

Any tips on getting the original magazine tube out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:58 am 
Crown Grade

Do not use vise grips, channel locks, a chain wrench, you get the picture

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 2&t=456456

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... azine-Tube

in other words, if you put the receiver in a vise (wood blocks, thick leather, etc to protect finish) and cannot turn it out by hand, then you will need to use one of the other ways mentioned in the links above.

the barrel and tube have resale value (if you choose) so don't damage it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:58 am 
Field Grade

Thanks Dave, I understand what to do and realize the "what not to do" but like Brownell's Gun Kinks some people have a method that really works.

My 16 Gauge the magazine tube unscrewed when taking the cap off.

Yes that good ole pipe wrench gets tempting some times.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:44 am 
Crown Grade

I was given one that was pipe wrenched. I ruined one myself that eventually I straightened out and use for testing purposes.

You never know a person's level of experience.

I have found that once you get the tube on, and the yoke positioned, a needle nose file (small die maker's needle nose) will go into the hole good enough to mark where it will need filed at.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

+1 on everything David has said.
I have done this change on three guns now, and the removal of the existing mag tube is the toughest part. I did luck out in that a friend happened to have a bored round aluminum heavy walled tube that was almost exactly the correct size to slip over the 12 gauge mag tube. I slotted it and ground down opposite sides so that you clamp the aluminum tube in a vice after fitting it over the tube to be removed. A little heat on the receiver (not much) and they come right off. Pictures on this site somewhere. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:21 pm 
Field Grade

After seeing what the 8 shot M37's are selling for, when I saw the listing for the barrel and magazine tube I was, hey why not.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:37 pm 
Field Grade

Well my brother removed the standard length magazine tube this am. It was stuck. He bored a hole in a 2x4 and clamped it onto the tube. He has pictures on his phone I'll get them.

Well I threaded in the longer tube and guess what! Hand tightened the yoke notch aligned right up on top. I'll get a few pictures posted.

From this"

To this:

Last edited by kenhwind on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

See you have a Williams 5D or FP sight on the gun. For future reference, a Williams Ace in the Hole top mount combination scope rail and peep sight for a 500 Mossberg will fit the 12 gauge Ithaca 37's. You just have to have the top of the receiver drilled to match the 500's screw spacing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:13 pm 
Field Grade

nhithaca wrote:
See you have a Williams 5D or FP sight on the gun. For future reference, a Williams Ace in the Hole top mount combination scope rail and peep sight for a 500 Mossberg will fit the 12 gauge Ithaca 37's. You just have to have the top of the receiver drilled to match the 500's screw spacing.

Yes the Williams WGRS fit nicely on an Ithaca M37, I put one on a M37 that was drilled on top for a scope.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:23 pm 
Field Grade

This is what he did:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:46 am 
Crown Grade

Very nice work!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Ace in the Hole combo scope rail and peep sight uses the same parts as the WGRS does, but gives you the ability to mount a scope too.
https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecomm ... ght-070976

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:50 pm 
Field Grade

Hmmm... I was going to try and order one of those Ace in the hole since the WGRS 37 seems to have been discontinued. Looking at the spacing though I’m not sure it will work. No idea if mine was drilled at the factory but the screws hole look further forward.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't think you gave us the age of your 37, but generally they were not factory drilled and tapped for top mount scope mounts (at lest the NY guns). If it is not tapped, just get the Mossberg Ace in the Hole mount and have a gunsmith or machinist tap the receiver to fit the mount. Did this on two of mine using a rented jig from 4d Reamer Rentals. Very easy to do.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Here's a link to a thread showing one of the 8 shot guns I have built w/ the Williams sight base installed.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 7&t=452327

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:29 am 
Field Grade

We had a Deerslayer that had the top of the receiver drilled and tapped for a scope base. It was a Mag 37, not sure what year, but I'm reasonably sure it was an Ithaca NY 37.

Anyway I did use one of the Williams WGRS Sights on this shotgun but had to drill the holes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:17 pm 
Field Grade

Any chance of getting some photos of the WGRS? If you’re talking about the sight in the photo above I believe that is a Williams 5D, not the WGRS.