ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: After a couple years I found oversized safety for the 37!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:25 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello All,

I am someone who needs all the help I can get, and prefer my safeties to be oversized- when possible.

There are two gripes I have about the model 37 [other than it being so light that skeet games may hurt toward the end- but, hey- 'Featherweight', right? ]: one is that the safety felt too small for me and the second was that the bolt release lever was so 'flush' that it was hard for me to operate if I needed to eject an unfired round.

Now, the second one I can understand from a field gun point of view- the smaller the extension on that part and the less likely I am to press it by accident while carrying the shotgun in the field.

However, I still wanted to change the safety.

For the longest time I was watching for the right-handed Williams oversized safety for the model 37, with no luck [well, saw one once but the bid went into 'crazy' land for me and I gave up].

I think it was last fall that I actually found the parts I wanted at a reasonable price, but I didn't get a chance to fit/test them until this fall, so I held off in posting.

However, there is a company in Canada that has some of these Williams right handed oversized safeties for the Ithaca Model 37 shotgun.

If you can't find them doing a search with the string Ithaca 37 oversized safety canada, contact me and I will direct you to them.

I was very pleased with my interactions, but that was all pre-covid, so the world HAS changed.

I just wanted to share in case some of you who love your Ithaca's would love to change this part also, but haven't found an option.

Post subject: Re: After a couple years I found oversized safety for the 37
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:47 am 
Field Grade

The Williams 37 oversized safeties are nice. Most I've seen listed lately are the 37L.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

GunParts in NY did have some of the Williams "Big" head safeties a while ago; I bought 2 or 3 for project guns. They work fine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:13 pm 
Field Grade

Hey thanks for the heads up. I’ve been wanting to make my Ithaca more practical/tactical.
Managed to pick up a discontinued sidesaddle a few years back. Now if only I could find an old Laser Products/Surefire forend.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi Everyone, Glad this was helpful to some of you.

BTW- with Google, the website I bought them from comes up as the first and second search result with that search string, but I don't see it on Bing's first page. So, do a google search and you will find it- but don't yahoo it.

No luck on the surefire forend though- sorry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Different strokes for different folks. I have one laying around that I replaced with a factory original because the owner hated the over sized safety. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:40 am 
Crown Grade

I have the Williams safeties on a few of my hunting guns. I wear jersey gloves while hunting. 1 pair with the fingers (or just trigger finger if really cold) cut off. The over sized safeties are easier to feel with gloves on.