ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jamming problem
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Lately I have been having a jamming problem with my 1974 12 gauge Model 37. I have owned this gun since it was new, bought in December 1974. Now, when I shoot it and eject the shell the 2nd shell jams to the point where I have to remove the barrel and get the shell out. For the 46 odd years I owned the gun it never jammed until about 6 months ago.

I have had the gun apart and replaced the shell stops, which I had originally thought was causing the problem. Nope, replacing both the left side and right side stops did nothing to cure it.

So now I'm thinking it's the extractors on the bolt. I had it back apart last night and removed the bolt. The extractors seemed like they might be moving a little stiffly, so I cleaned them up with Gun Scrubber and took a tooth brush to to them and the rest of the internals. I then lightly lubed everything and put the gun back together.

Just working the action, it is really slick. No hang-ups, everything moves smoothly. I'm not going to have a chance to shoot it until next weekend, so I won't know if this helped or not.

BTW, it was not with any particular brand of shotshell. When it was jamming, it would jam with everything, from the cheapest Winchesters to the most expensive loads. It was non-discriminatory jammer.

Just looking for some thoughts and if anyone else has experienced this.

Post subject: Re: Jamming problem
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Is the left hand shell stop (I will use the word bent) bent over far enough ? (left hand when the muzzle is pointing away from you and the receiver top is up). If it is not bent over far enough, it can let a shell slip past while the fired shell is on the way out.

Is that what is happening ? ie: fired on the way out, 2nd shell slips the shell stop and jams the gun ?

Post subject: Re: Jamming problem
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:46 am 
Diamond Grade

Check the fired shell. If there are bulges in case head at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions then your barrel is out of alignment with the extractors. Loosen the barrel yoke screw, remove and replace the barrel. The yoke should center it self during this process. Re tighten the yoke screw with barrel in place. Hope this helps.