ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ejecting Problem - Please assist
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

I am fit to be tide these last few weeks. Two of my guns have been having ejection problems while hunting and I need some help. Of course these are the only guns I have for duck hunting and am trying to get through season.

The question for this thread is for my Ithaca 37 Waterfowl. This morning my Remington shell would not come out of the barrel and I had to take the barrel off and use a tree branch to knock it out. I couldn't get it with my fingers as it was stuck. I also had these issues with Winchester shells last weekend and BOSS loads a few weeks ago, all 3". This is an intermittent problem except with the BOSS which was pretty much every other shell or so. The Win and Rem shells were 3-5 times per box.

I checked after I made it back home and the chamber is smooth and clean. Not sure what to do and would appreciate any suggestions. With only three weeks of season, I don't have the luxury of sending it to the gunsmith. I checked yesterday and they are six weeks out on repairs.

Anyone have any thoughts on what is happening and how I can fix it?

Let me know and I appreciate it.

Side note - I am also having issues with my Mossberg 930 so if you know about those guns, please jump to the Mossberg section and help there too. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Ejecting Problem - Please assist
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

Check the fired shell. If there are bulges in case head at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions then your barrel is out of alignment with the extractors. Loosen the barrel yoke screw, remove and replace the barrel. The yoke should center it self during this process. Re tighten the yoke screw with barrel in place. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

1977cutcher wrote:
Check the fired shell. If there are bulges in case head at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions then your barrel is out of alignment with the extractors. Loosen the barrel yoke screw, remove and replace the barrel. The yoke should center it self during this process. Re tighten the yoke screw with barrel in place. Hope this helps.

Thank you, I will give this a try.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:14 pm 
Crown Grade

I suggest a call to Les Hovencamp in Ithaca, NY. Les is the man on M-37 guns. Perhaps he can talk you through some things. Also, have you changed ammo? Some ammo has problems in a M-37.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:10 pm 
Crown Grade

It sounds like something's up with the extractor - most likely worn a bit over the years of use.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:44 am 
Crown Grade

Also, just for ha ha's. Take a piece of 3/8" wood dowel, about 12" long will work. Cut a slit in the end lengthwise. Take some 0000 (quad zero) steel wool, cram into the slit, oil, and use your drill to clean the chamber good. Just because doesn't mean it really is. This won't hurt your gun.

Then as said above, make the barrel is in alignment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.