ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed May 12, 2021 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca 37 16 gauge safety issue
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:39 am 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone! I’m new here to the forum but have long been a shotgun enthusiast.

A number of years ago I purchased an Ithaca Model 37 16 gauge featherlight. It was made in 1948.

The problem I have lies in the safety. To get the safety to work, I literally have to push the safety lever over far enough that the spring and safety pin fall out of the gun! Could the pin be worn or do you think I have something bigger going on here. When the pin is resting in the safety detention, I can still pull the trigger and fire the gun! Not the safest, for sure!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Post subject: Re: Ithaca 37 16 gauge safety issue
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:20 am 
Crown Grade

Real head scratcher there. No safety lever on a model 37. I’d start with a disassembly and cleaning. Or have a gunsmith repair it if you’re not willing to take the gun apart.

And Welcome to Shotgunworld!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:52 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks @Diamond Grade. It’s the safety itself, not lever.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Strange. Without seeing it I’m no help. Sorry. I don’t know if you need a new safety or the trigger has been damaged. Both options are unlikely. Has it always been this way or did the gun work normally when you got it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Are you sure that you don't have a left hand safety in the gun and you are pushing it passed its working limits ? If the gun had a left hand safety, and people didn't realize it through its life, it could be damaged.

You need to take the trigger pack out of the gun and completely disassemble it. Then each component needs to be checked for wear and damage. Then I would replace that safety with a new, right hand version along with the detent spring and pin.

I would also repair/replace any other components.

I have taken more than a dozen trigger packs apart and never seen an issue like this, even on old, used and abused guns.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:26 pm 
Crown Grade

If you take the trigger pack apart, take some detailed pictures, from different angles of the components involved with the safety and post them here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:53 am 
Limited Edition

The trigger will need to be adjusted into the safety. Hard to explain how that's done, but that's what it sounds like without seeing it.
Les Hovencamp
Diamond Gunsmithing
www.diamondgunsmithing.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:01 am 
Field Grade

Well I've had these Ithaca M 37 shotguns with both right and left hand safeties in them and what is described cannot happen unless there is something wrong or broken. But with the left hand safety the safety detent is right on the edge.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi guys. Been down with the COVID but doing better. Finally got the gun apart. It was quite clean, actually. I do have a new safety detention and spring and hope to get some pictures to post tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:33 pm 
Utility Grade

How do I add photos
?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:30 pm 
Crown Grade

you want to be in the full editor. add an attachment (ie: the .jpg on your machine) the place it "inline", that will post it as a picture. you can hit "preview" to see if it worked

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:28 am 
Utility Grade

Attachment:
safety1.jpg
Attachment:
trigger1.jpg
Attachment:
trigger wear.jpg

There is some wear on the safety itself but it doesn't appear to be excessive. There is also some wear on the back side of the trigger that, again, doesn't seem too excessive, but could be?

The safety is a RH one, based on the pictures I can find on the internet.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:45 am 
Utility Grade

Attachment:
trigger2.jpg
Attachment:
safe.jpg
Attachment:
trigger back side.jpg

More pictures. With the trigger fully assembled, The hammer should be secured by the "hook" on the slide release lever, correct, as in the Trigger1 picture I have attached? If I put slight pressure on the front of the slide release lever, it moves the hammer to the position shown in Trigger2. Should this be happening? In this position, there is nothing preventing the hammer from going forward once the trigger is pulled, regardless of the safety position.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:33 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a trigger assembly out of a gun at the moment and can confirm that you have a RH safety and that your full assembly appears correct. While I cannot comment on the degree of wear on the trigger or safety, I can say that regardless of whether the safety keeper pin and spring are functional or worn, there should be contact between the trigger and safety to prevent what I understand you to be describing.

Thus, unless the safety was installed backwards, I'm inclined to believe a new trigger and/or safety is what's needed. Your pics don't show this, but the cross hatched face goes on the right and dimpled face goes on the left

I have a spare trigger that I'd be willing to pass along to help with your diagnosis or repair if that helps.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:48 am 
Tournament Grade

Looking at the last picture more closely and comparing the one I have in hand, I suspect that little notch of wear on the back end of the trigger is the culprit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:00 am 
Crown Grade

The safety is not the problem! But rather the trigger needs to be replaced.
In the long past a basement gunsmith has tried to "Improve" the trigger pull,
by filing on the trigger.
Please note I have checked four of my 37's and when the safety is in the "on"
position there is NO movement of the trigger at all. Two right hand safety's and two left hand
safety's. When in the safe position the trigger is locked in place and there is no way the
trigger can release the hammer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Thought I would post an update. A special shout out and Thank You to PNWIthacaJunkie for helping me figure this issue out and for graciously sending me an extra trigger that he had, FREE OF CHARGE! Also, a shout out to jaguarxk120 for suspecting someone messed with the trigger.

I got it all back together today and it works like a million bucks! In the picture, the 16 is on top and is a 1948 model. Seems pretty original.

The bottom one is a 1940 model 12 gauge. It was very rough when it got it. Pretty rusty and had a couple inches cut of the back end of the stock. I re-blued that one back in the 90's and refinished the forend. The stock is a new I picked up in the 90's and is a little bit wider than the back end of the receiver but the checkering seems to match the original one I took off. Not sure of the origin. Also, the trigger/slide release lever was chrome plated, only because my roommate knew a guy at his place of work that ran the chrome plating line. I still occasionally shoot the 12 gauge and will shoot the 16 gauge, too, provided I can find a few more shells for it!

Thanks again for all the help! I really appreciate it!