ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wood Finish Question on 1930's Era NID
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:58 pm 
Field Grade

I have a 1935 NID 20 gauge in fantastic condition with almost entire case colored finish intact. I'm about to replace worn out original sunburst recoil pad with a period replacement from Galazan and was looking closely at the finish on stock and forearm. I'm skeptical that the original finish on this gun from Ithaca was as shiny as the finish on it now. I much prefer a more satin or oil rubbed look. Do you think the finish in the attached pics of the gun is original? if not what type of finish do you suppose they used at factory during this period. I'm strongly considering refinishing it if its not believed to be original. Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Wood Finish Question on 1930's Era NID
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:13 am 
Crown Grade

Early NID field grades were oil finished. I think by 1930ish they were using 2 coats of DUCO lacquer. If mine, I would not refinish it-use it until the wood needs refinished. From the photo you posted looks as though the frame might have been recolored.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

That beavertail forearm is unusual, I thought the 1935 variation NIDs had a Baker type snap-on forearm. But maybe the beavertails (which I think could be had on special order) retained the D&E latch.
That wood finish does look glossy in your photo, but my 1935 NID has more shine than those made in the 1920s. As Walt said, if it was my gun I wouldn't refinish it until it becomes necessary.
Nice gun, I'm still looking for a 1935 variation in 20 gauge.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:43 pm 
Crown Grade

I am pushing my 83 year old memory but I think the D&E latch was used on ejector guns. I don't think the BT fore end on this gun is factory. A call to Jesi at the Buffalo Bill Museum (and some money) would confirm that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Very sure that gun has been refinished. Look close and the forearm iron is color case hardened. They were nitre blued when these guns were new.

In the new style NIDs from 1935 onwards the extractor guns in Field Grade, No. 1 and No. 2 had the Baker J-Spring forearm fastening.

The ejector guns got a combination of the Baker J-spring and a tilting block actuated by the lever in the forearm, similar to Parker Bros. latch, to lock everything in place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:13 am 
Diamond Grade

Add me to the list that agrees that this gun has been refinished. Looks like torch colors and the wood finish is not original.

Looks like a nice gun. Would have to see better pics of the forearm to see if it looks original. It could be. Also need a closer look at the trigger guard and trigger(s). Is it a single or double trigger? Barrel length? Chokes?

I would lean to just enjoying it as is once you replace the recoil pad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:43 am 
Field Grade

I love a good mystery and I would like to know more about the history of the gun. Ithaca serial number dated it 1935. I will post pics of trigger guard, forearm and some other aspects of the gun. I appreciate the responses to my post.