ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M37 Ultralight, barrel ?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:16 am 
Presentation Grade

I have 2 M37's, 1 20ga Featherlite and 1 12ga Ultralight with chokes. I really like the Ultralight because the action (IMO) is smoother than the Featherlite. Weight of the Ultralight doesn't bother me nor does the recoil. What does bother me about the Ultralight is the 25" barrel. I want 30" rib barrel for this gun and the ones I see for sale are fixed choke and that's ok with me. How do I know if other barrels will fit this gun ? Would hate buy one and find out it doesn't work or the rib is off to one side or the other from the receiver.

Gun # ULT 371867884

Both my 37's are like brand new so if I'm keeping the Ultralight it's worth the $ spent on the extra barrel.

Post subject: Re: M37 Ultralight, barrel ?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

The thread style changed at SN 855,000. Old style threads have a pitch to them like a screw or bolt. New style threads are more or less straight groves. Generally speaking if the barrel does not have a serial number on it then it should be the new style thread pattern. It is often recommended that head space be double checked with the new barrel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:23 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
I want 30" rib barrel for this gun

That length in a VR rib, well, it is not in the Hen's Teeth category, but it is in the Ultrarareium
category.

I have not seen such a barrel for sale in years of watching. They were more common in the 30" length on the T and S (trap and skeet guns), and earlier barrels, that were serial numbered to the gun.

A barrel with a 6 digit serial nbr won't fit your gun, be advised.

You could maybe get one from Ithacagun here in Ohio but their barrels are HEAVY.

If you can live with it, get a 28". There are a bunch on eBay right now. One clue that the barrel will fit is it will say Rotoforged on it. That DOES NOT, REPEAT DOES not absolutely mean it will fit, just that it is from the correct time frame. They did make some that were custom fitted to the earlier style receiver threads.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:00 am 
Crown Grade

Also be advised that the Ultralight barrels are marked as such, and have a slightly
slimmer profile. Not much but enough to shave a ounce or two from the weight.

By changing to a standard barrel the balance of the gun will change and with
that the handling. That's why you bought the Ultralight in the first place,
the fast handling. With the heavier barrel you will start to overswing because of the added
weight.
Your last statement sounds as if you want only one gun. I say keep both and start looking for a third 12 gauge with that 30 inch barrel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:36 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for the reply's

I didn't buy this gun for it's light weight or for hunting, I shoot clay birds. I've added weight gun is 7.5lbs now. I bought this gun because someone needed money and I got it for little $. If I buy another barrel I'm still ahead in the game with this gun. I can do the 28" VR barrel but given a choice I'd rather have the 30" VR barrel.

Here's 2 on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ithaca-Model-3 ... %7Ciid%3A1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ithaca-Model-3 ... %7Ciid%3A1

On 1 the threads look like mine, on the other (could be way pic is taken) the threads don't look like mine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:15 pm 
Crown Grade

They both look like interchangeable thread barrels. You need to contact them and ask if there is a 6 digit ser nbr on the breech end.

If there is a ser nbr, it will be fairly obvious, along with a witness mark at 6 o'clock running lengthwise about 3/8 " long that was used to time the barrel for further machine work after it was screwed into the receiver.

I am surprised 2 30" barrels showed up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

The barrels don't have serial numbers. The person "Scout" is a gunsmith according to his profile and he says.....

"Model 37 barrels are a bit of a gamble as to what they will fit. This is late enough not to have a serial number but I still do not know exactly what it will fit.
Mike"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Sometimes you have to true the threads up. I had a barrel where one of the cutting teeth had broken, so it wasn't a true "V" shape.

Quote:
"Model 37 barrels are a bit of a gamble as to what they will fit. This is late enough not to have a serial number but I still do not know exactly what it will fit.

A little bit of truth and a little bit more of just not knowing the history of Ithacas.

We are fortunate enough to have Walt here, who wrote the definitive history of the 37's with all the changes documented and some of us here are fortunate to have a stack of Ithacas.

I sold off a lot of guns that I acquired early in life in order to afford the Ithacas I have now.

You have to understand what they were doing and what the changes were. They were subject to manufacturing variances. The ones that were stamped "Ithaca N.Y." are probably a bit less of a risk than the ones from "King Ferry. N.Y."

In the case of those 2 barrels, they fit 12ga Ithaca 37 guns with receivers that were designed for 2 3/4" chambers. They physically will go on receivers that were redesigned for 3" shells. If yours is one of the 3" guns, as long as you only use 2 3/4" shells you

would be ok. The opposite holds true also, a 3" chambered barrel will go on a 2 3/4" receiver, but won't eject a 3" shell.

Using a 3" shell in a 2 3/4" chamber is not a good thing to do.

I have bought a bunch of 16ga barrels with no problem HOWEVER, I did have one that was really tight in one receiver and not in another, same with a Deerslayer barrel I have.

The only real pretty much guarantee is that if they DO NOT have a serial number on them, they are an interchangeable barrel.

I own 1 of the few 16ga King Ferry barrels that was fitted to an early model (pre serial nbr 855,000) receiver. It is very clearly marked with a 6 digit serial nbr. The only one that I know of that was not marked was bought in a big batch of barrels when the factory went into bankruptcy. It had never been fitted. It is at gunsmith's that I know here in Ohio.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

And now over @TS there's two 30" barrels for sale $150 and I can't post over there :x

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:05 am 
Crown Grade

@TS ???

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:50 am 
Crown Grade

Trapshooters.com

Have you done a search for the lister at trapshooter's ?
Might be a way to reach the lister.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:27 am 
Presentation Grade

For some reason the post & reply's at Trapshooters vanished.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:02 am 
Crown Grade

He has listed the barrel on Ebay, $150 buy it now, $15 shipping!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:00 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks you are an expert investigator :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Interesting I consider TS.com BS.com :-) Same handle there and I only show up as a member since 1998 when they switched from the popcorn style. My youngest son before his cancer decided to be a trapshooter and broke his grandfathers and my heart. But he was the ATA Mn. State class runner up in singles at the age of 14. And his grandfather and I both watched him be high gun at Ithaca during a blizzard in a (now defunct) Owl League shoot of the Twin Tiers. In the 50 bird trap event he ran them.

Have a lot of 37's and more than a few Ultralights. My 12 ga. UL is a carry over from King Ferry to Upper Sandusky and came with a 26" bbl. I use it for phez in SD.

Image[

Only place in SD that didn't have a fence post to put the gun on LOL. I also have an Ohio 12 ga. with AAA wood and a 30" bbl. and a 28" King Ferry Barrel.

I use the KF bbl on both guns, it fits in my case and is the best of both of worlds. 30" is just too long IMO. And I shoot 32" O\U's and 34" trap barrels.

Your mileage may vary but 30" is just too much of a good thing with the 37 even for clays.

16 Ga. UL English Deluxe 26" is just about right for ruff and is 6 pounds.

But a pre 1955 16 ga. plain bbl. is the same weight and just as effective.

For ruff. When I enter a pump gun event and money is on the line I use a 16 ga. RVD with a 28" bbl. Even over my 12 ga. guns including 37T, 37S, etc.

Since that picture have upgraded the recoil pad and also changed out the Raybar to a Bradley 2 bead (white).

Then again I feed the chamber from the mag, and many on here get their panties in a knot over that LOL. Been doing it for more than half a Century. Do what works for you. But really think a 28" would be better than a 30" unless you are really young and used to really LONG barrels.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Hello Cold Iron., Absolutely fabulous wood on those Ithacas! When it comes to M-37s and dog, you are in deep clover. Best wishes with your other concerns. {hs#

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

ithacanut wrote:
Hello Cold Iron., Absolutely fabulous wood on those Ithacas! When it comes to M-37s and dog, you are in deep clover. Best wishes with your other concerns. {hs#

"LIKE" Especially coming from you

I know that in later years that most of the wood came from Mo. But growing up just South of Ithaca worked for a farmer that also logged using Morgan horses. When he would pull a figured grain of Black Walnut out of the woods, with me setting chokers and driving, he would say this is going to Ithaca.

Pretty sure it wasn't going to Allison Chain on the ridge. That was back in the 60's and early 70's.

Always wondered if old man Richter was in any of the Ithaca records but over the years from what you posted never seen anything about it.

It is where my appreciation of fine wood came from. And thank you for all the work you have done to preserve the history of these great guns Walt. I for one greatly appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

Nice stuff Cold Iron. Love the Ithaca Wood too!!!