ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with spring identification and stamp on Model 37
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

A friend is wanting to bring is father's 1952 Model 37 16 gauge back into service for bird hunting. I went over and took a look today and he showed me a small spring that he indicated launched from the bottom of the receiver when he cycled the action. It is approximately 3/8" long and 1/8" wide and very stiff. I am familiar with the springs associated with the trigger group and can't see how any of these could come out, plus I believe they are different dimensions.

I am guessing this might be an extractor spring, but I have never had to tinker with these. If this is the case, wouldn't one of the extractors have to have broken to allow for the spring to escape like this? I didn't have a lot of time so we disassmble the gun, but now I wish I would have looked for closely for a broken extractor or lack of spring tension.

The other curiosity is that there is a small font stamp above the serial # on the receiver with the characters "R8". The plain barrel and serial #s match as do the full choke and #4 on the barre and see no obvious after production modifications. Any idea what the deal is with this stamp?

Post subject: Re: Help with spring identification and stamp on Model 37
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:15 pm 
Field Grade

I’m not sure about the spring you have although your thoughts on the extractor sound like a strong possibility. There is a small spring that holds the retaining pin for the forearm. I don’t think it could fall out but my gun broke that pin so I suppose the spring could come out if the pin comes out. You can see that pin and part of the spring with the bolt closed looking into the action from the bottom. That would tell you if those pieces are intact or not.

I have a gun made in 1956 that has “R6” marked above the sn. From what I have gathered reading this forum, this indicates the gun went back to the factory for some sort of repair. On my gun, I know this barrel was a factory fit extra barrel so perhaps that is what the 6 means. Im not sure what code the 8 would be. Someone should be along shortly that knows way more than me so hopefully you’ll get a solid answer.

John

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:04 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply! I checked the forearm retainer pin when I briefly had the gun in hand and it is intact and under spring tension, as are the trigger and slide release. Good thought though. Hoping someone else may chime in here.

I suspected the stamp was related to a return to factory issue, but hadn't occurred to me that the number might represent a particular repair issue. The gun is original to his father (now dead), but he still has the original hang tag. I'll ask him if he recalls it needing a repair of any sort, but he would have been just a wee lad most likely.

Thanks again!

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:19 am 
Tournament Grade

I used the search function and was able to dig up the following quote from Walt, who is the guru when it comes to this sort of thing -

"The R means it went back to the factory for a repair. I believe the number 6 is the repairman to who did or coordinated the repairs. The repair department sent parts through the factory lines at times (such as bluing, etc) and the R and number got it back to the repair dept. and correct person. There is some possibility that the number also designated what kind of repair was done, e.g. warranty, etc. I have seen the numbers 5, 6 and 8 all used.
Unfortunately, there is no one alive to tell us."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Les Hovencamp may know. You might want to call or e-mail him at Diamond Gunsmithing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:12 am 
Diamond Grade

It is time to do a full strip and cleaning of the gun in my opinion. There are good YouTube videos, watch several different ones. Have a parts break down on hand and look for where you are missing a spring. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:08 pm 
Crown Grade

PM me your email address. I will send you the field maintenance guide on PDF. This stupid site won't allow me to attach a .pdf to a post.

Here is a sample of what it contains

Attachment:
FieldMaintSample.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

PM sent to drcook. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond!