ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Ithaca still making guns?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:33 am 
Presentation Grade

A dealer sent them multiple inquiries for me regarding having a M37 20g made back in January...no replies. On their website all the M37's in 20 and 28g say Out of Stock, has been that way for a while. Are they down because of covid or is there a another reason?

Post subject: Re: Is Ithaca still making guns?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:40 am 
Diamond Grade

Why not call or email them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:15 am 
Crown Grade

Keep calling. I ordered a new gun from them last summer and it took about 5 weeks to get confirmation. Covid has slowed them down a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

chairman wrote:
Why not call or email them.

I have emailed, as has Dealer placing potential order for me...no response. I haven't called because I'm in another country and can't personally purchase a firearm, has to be done through a dealer who can import/export which is why I was letting the dealer handle all the communications, that way theres a paper trail if an order was placed.
I can live without the Ithaca though so if it's too much to ask them for a reply then I'll buy something else.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

buckmark525 wrote:
A dealer sent them multiple inquiries for me regarding having a M37 20g made back in January...no replies. On their website all the M37's in 20 and 28g say Out of Stock, has been that way for a while. Are they down because of covid or is there a another reason?

I would call and ask for Patrick, they are there building guns.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:35 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
I can live without the Ithaca though so if it's too much to ask them for a reply then I'll buy something else.

I am going to get hung for heresy here, but if you are in another country, you might want to pass on a new Ithaca and see if you can locate a higher condition old one in the configuration that you want.

New Ithacas sometimes have too tight chambers, have feeding issues and need sent back to the factory

YES YES YES I personally know someone here in the Akron Ohio area that went through that ordeal, got so perturbed about the gun not feeding, jamming, dumping shells that he took it and traded it in at a significant loss. While he could have gone through the process of sending it back to get worked on,

for you being outside the U.S. and and the issues you will face, you just might want to reconsider.

That is my opinion.

BTW the older (pre-Ohio built Ithacas) that I have and have had, have all been wonderful shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:43 am 
Crown Grade

Mine is particular about shells. Kind of annoying but I knew going in to expect that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

Almost all Model 37's are picky about shells. They just don't seem to like Euro type hulls. I do have a prewar 16 and a Ohio made 12 that will eat anything I feed them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:13 pm 
Crown Grade

There was also a design change that the Ohio company has perpetuated. The original design of the magazine tube had a bushing pushed into the end. It more controlled the handing off of the shell the shell stops and subsequent feeding. Somewhere along the line the design was changed to a roll crimp to keep the magazine shell follower inside the tube. This allows the shell to rattle around and makes the shell stop adjustment hyper critical.

Back when I built the 16ga for my wife and machined a bushing to go into the mag tube I bought from the company here in Ohio, it was much easier to adjust the shell stops.

Additionally when I asked the service people what they did about the internal shoulder that the tube bottomed out against, they told me they reamed it out on people's guns they worked on, thus increasing a tolerance beyond the original design.

When I was rebuilding restoring for myself, I haunted eBay, gunbroker, old gunshops/gunparts shops looking for new old stock or guns that were parted out to get a stock of the old style ones.

I still have a couple in 16ga and I had 1 new old stock 12ga mag tube that went to a fellow forum member in a deal.

It is worth it's weight in well, it is valuable because of what it is.

It is that design change that causes the feeding issues in the newer guns (in my opinion based on experience)

The issue with shells are tight chambers and a design that was perfected before today's cheap a** shells.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

EricB wrote:
Mine is particular about shells. Kind of annoying but I knew going in to expect that.

Mine won't take Boss bismuth loads which is annoying.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm sure that's very annoying. However they do use Cheddite hulls. My solution is to load my own in either Federal or Remington hulls,problem solved. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

ohio mike wrote:
I'm sure that's very annoying. However they do use Cheddite hulls. My solution is to load my own in either Federal or Remington hulls,problem solved. :D

I agree that is a solution but a $1000 shotgun should probably take whatever you feed it.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:02 am 
Diamond Grade

I concur. {hs#

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Specklebelly wrote:
ohio mike wrote:

I agree that is a solution but a $1000 shotgun should probably take whatever you feed it.

That is exactly why I said above

Quote:
I am going to get hung for heresy here, but if you are in another country, you might want to pass on a new Ithaca

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

My Ohio guns have not had any problems.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:19 pm 
Crown Grade

It is not whether or not Ohio built Ithacas have problems (we know that there are intermittent issues with the Ohio built guns) it is if you get one of their guns that has a problem and live in a foreign country which the OP says he does. His profile says "Great White North" (I assume Canada) and he posts about having to go through an importer, the paper work, getting a gun across the border and dealing with the Canadian government and their rules.

(My buddy lives in Alberta, you wouldn't believe what they are subjected to).

So when you live in say Canada and the gun has an issue, then it becomes a problem trying to get a tomato stake corrected into being a working shotgun.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:38 am 
Presentation Grade

Yes I'm in Canada. I previously owned a beautiful 28g 37 but sold it on a whim to get something else (which i greatly regret now) and had zero issues with it...my main objective was just finding out if they are even up and running again after all this covid stuff. Like I mentioned in first post they simply aren't responding in any way. Yes I know.."pick up the phone!"...I can hear you all yelling it from here haha

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

buckmark525 wrote:
Yes I'm in Canada. I previously owned a beautiful 28g 37 but sold it on a whim to get something else (which i greatly regret now) and had zero issues with it...my main objective was just finding out if they are even up and running again after all this covid stuff. Like I mentioned in first post they simply aren't responding in any way. Yes I know.."pick up the phone!"...I can hear you all yelling it from here haha

I really enjoy mine even though it doesn't like the cheddite hulls and hopefully you can get one soon.