ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca 20ga. Double Barrel Renovation
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello, this belonged to my Father, given to him as a wedding present by my Mother in 1935. The serial number is; 284995 with 28" barrels, one choked. If I'm reading the Ithaca site correctly, the date of manufacture is 1917. I'd be interested first if there's a model name associated with it, nothing I can see other than 'smokeless powder' engraved on each barrel. It has a retriever in some brush engraved on each side of the receiver.

It's been stored in a zipped case for many years, and despite some surface rust is in very good condition. I'm going to do as complete a clean-up as I can and I have some questions.

I'd like to separate the receiver from the stock - I've removed the wood screws from the trigger guard, and am soaking one hidden below the guard in 3n1 oil overnight to loosen it.

Likely there's a good manner to separate these parts, but the videos I've found aren't close. I plan to sell it after the clean-up, I'm too old for hill climbing now sadly, and will post some pics when it's presentable.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Ithaca 20ga. Double Barrel Renovation
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

Your Ithaca's SN does come back to 1917, which makes it a Flues Model.

There were several different "grades" made, and the numerical grade of your gun should be clearly stamped into the action's watertable flats, viewable after un-hooking/removing the barrels.

To remove the butt stock from a Flues, first remove the barrels and forearm.
Move the lever to the right and you'll see a screw, normally hidden by the lever.
Remove it.
Remove the two screws from the rear of the trigger guard.
Rotate the trigger guard 90 degrees counter clockwise.
You will see a screw head, the screw secures the trigger plate to the top tang.
Remove it.
The stock should now slide to the rear.

I never had the need to remove the buttstock on my 28ga ca.1914 Flues grade 1- S (Special).

Last edited by CriscoKid on Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info CriscoKid! I did start a tear-down and got to that last screw you mentioned after moving the trigger guard away, and it may be a no-go. I've got just the right slot head driver, both a stubbie and a 6" but it seems just locked tight - It'll move from 3-6 o'clock but stops dead and hard.
Since you describe it going metal to metal, maybe a good solvent would work on it.
Or maybe best leave it alone.....I sure don't want to end up with just the screw head on the bench. My only thought on removal of the receiver was a better clean-up job, but at 104 years it looks like it deserves to look.
The watertable mark on this shows S20, I've read some inconsistent opinions about these numbers.
Yours is a beauty, as is this. Now that I've been rubbing it and looking closely at how it's built I may keep it. It's graceful, the stock is fine wood, and the smell of Hoppe's is coming back to me!

Thanks again -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:53 am 
Diamond Grade

Kroil is probably your best bet but it is hard to find. A good supply house would carry it or order on line.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks 1977cutcher, still haven't decided whether risking a broken screw head is worth it, but I'll checkout who's got this locally.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:22 pm 
Limited Edition

The trigger plate has to be removed as the stock is trapped between the upper and lower tang. The trigger plate needs removed, then the stock drops down (not back) from the upper tang. Do not lose the trip and trip spring. The sears may need to be removed to allow the stock to drop free. Do not force it or the stock can be damaged.

Ser# 284995 also includes the Lefever Nitro Special mfg'd 1929. The Nitro Special buttstock is retained by a draw bolt which can be accessed by removing the buttplate.

John