ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca Knick single barrel vs Lefever Model 2 single barrel
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:06 am 
Limited Edition

Looking at both of these single barrel guns I am asking what distinguishes one from the other. The Ithaca Victory vs Lefever single barrel guns are the main point of interest. Outside of the obvious engraving and furniture differences, are they that different. Pricing on the gun auctions indicates there is but what and why? Is it the name they bear or something substantial?

Post subject: Re: Ithaca Knick single barrel vs Lefever Model 2 single bar
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:28 am 
Crown Grade

While the Knick is arguably far and away the greatest of the classic SBTs, Harry Howland said of the Lefever single, page 207 of Walter's book, "I think it was the poorest gun I ever helped to design,..."

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:59 am 
Limited Edition

OK, so one is arguably one of the best and the other the poorest (but it sold 16,000 guns?). What makes the difference. The internal workings appear to have slight differences, but diagrams don't tell the story. Both can still be found and used for the intended purpose. Is it that trap shooters run to the more expensive, prettier gun and proclaim its superiority, just because, or is there a measurable difference.

The basic Ford Mustang and the Ford Falcon were built on the same frame, etc, but the mustang was the one we remember. Is this a similar situation?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:23 pm 
Crown Grade

The Knick has 2 locking points vs. 1 on the lefever. Only the Model 3 has a vent rib, the model 2 doesn't. The Knick is a much more robust construction than either of the Lefever single barrel models. All Knicks have a beaver tail fore end while only a few model 3 Lefevers have it. Of the 1/2 dozen Lefevers singles I have owned eject every time the action is opened. The Knicks only eject if the round it contains has been fired. Also stock dimension options were offered for the Knick-not for the Lefevers.
Probably other features but these are what come to mind at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Walt, Thank you for the information. Its exactly what I was looking for. These details are hard to sift out, and your first hand knowledge of these guns is priceless.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:56 am 
Diamond Grade

I have a Grade 5 Knick and now a Grade 3 Lefever Vent Rib. I believe both are from 1929.

Both have the same Knick rib. Both look exactly the same looking down the barrel.

The Lefever busts clays just as good as the Knick. The Lefever is simple, but it works.

The Lefever has the slim fore end. I did see one for sale not too long ago that did have the beavertail.

I refer to the Knick as my Rolex and the Lefever as my Timex. :lol:

I honestly love them both.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:36 am 
Crown Grade

In 1929, the Lefever Model 2 listed at $16 while the newly introduced Model 3 listed at $35, so essentially it was tacking a $19 vent rib on $16 gun if we consider adding a recoil pad and deleting the safety mechanism a wash.

Meanwhile the Victory Grade Knick, also made only to standard specifications, listed at $100.