ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester 101 v. Browning Citori CXS
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:40 pm 
Field Grade

Is there anything to be said in favor of the 101 over the Citori other than maybe price

Post subject: Re: Winchester 101 v. Browning Citori CXS
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:54 am 
Diamond Grade

LOL. I don't think so!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:34 pm 
Limited Edition

They are about the same quality wise, I would take the Winchester because it fits me better.

Maybe that will get the topic going :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:04 pm 
Field Grade

I'm a fan of the Miroku-Citori over/under design, having owned several in various configurations over the decades starting with their plain blued receiver and chunky stocked first models under the Browning name. Although I've owned numbers of shotguns over the decades I've put more rounds through the my Miroku-made Charles Dalys and Browning Citoris than all the other brands and models combined.

I have looked at and handled the newer Winchester 101s, but never fired one so my opinion is not one who has experience with the new 101s.

That said, I believe the Citori is the best made, best value shotgun in its various price ranges. Just solid built guns. I never have had a problem with any Miroku built shotgun, including my workhorse BT-99s. They just work.

As always, fit is most important and only you can discern which is better fitted to you.

However, since I'm going to spend your money I'll spend it on the Citori. The one and only thing I don't like about that shotgun is the name "Citori", but that's just me. I'll guess that a Citori will be easier to sell now or in the future than the Winchester 101 if that is a consideration.

OP, good luck with your choice and may you shoot that choice in good health.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:31 pm 
Crown Grade

As a relative noob, I have learned a lot but not everything, of course. Somehow I have thought Winchester no longer offered shotguns. Don’t ask me why. I dunno. Just ignorant. So now I have to catch up. What is the skinny on the 101? Is it a quality gun. Is it thought by the shooting masses to be better than Turkish guns? Is it thought to be as good as B guns? Give me a “one-pager “ on it. What is the wood like? What is thought about long life durability?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Assume you are talking about a used Winchester 101? I have owned those as well as Citori's from No Number Grade I's to 625 Grade VI's. Had 3 and 4 barrel sets in the Citori, 3 Barrel sub-gauge in the 101 with a 12 gauge to fill out the gauges and at least one Charles Daly trap gun. I would take the Citori's / Daly's hand down over the 101.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I own a Belgian 101. Buy the Browning. There is no comparison to be made.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:51 pm 
Field Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
As a relative noob, I have learned a lot but not everything, of course. Somehow I have thought Winchester no longer offered shotguns. Don’t ask me why. I dunno. Just ignorant. So now I have to catch up. What is the skinny on the 101? Is it a quality gun. Is it thought by the shooting masses to be better than Turkish guns? Is it thought to be as good as B guns? Give me a “one-pager “ on it. What is the wood like? What is thought about long life durability?

I am no expert either, but it is the same design that was made in Japan for Olin Winchester from I think 1963-1987. It is now made in Belgium by FN which is known for quality. I have never even held one but the design itself had a very good reputation back in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s. Because of Winchesters changes in ownership and lack of consistent marketing the 101 has not remained as popular as it once was and the Citori is now the superstar. I would like to hear from someone who has experience with both and can give detailed conparison.

Last edited by Coopdog on Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:54 pm 
Field Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:

What are the differences?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Coopdog wrote:
Skeet_Man wrote:

?

They are completely different guns.

Build quality will be much higher on the Browning, and the retail price is basically the same either way.

[email protected]

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:29 pm 
Field Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
Coopdog wrote:
Skeet_Man wrote:

?

They are completely different guns.

Build quality will be much higher on the Browning, and the retail price is basically the same either way.

Yes, I know that they are completely different guns. What are the Specific differences in quality? Is it the machining of the action? is it the quality of the checkering on the wood? Is it the bluing on the barrels? Is it the engraving? Is it how long they last? Is it something about the design itself because they are different designs?

Just telling me that you like one better is not helpful to me because I don’t know if you are a genius or a moron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:33 pm 
Field Grade

Coopdog wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

I am no expert either, but it is the same design that was made in Japan by Miroku for Olin Winchester from I think 1963-1987. It is now made in Belgium by FN which is known for quality. I have never even held one but the design itself had a very good reputation back in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s. Because of Winchesters changes in ownership and lack of consistent marketing the 101 has not remained as popular as it once was and the Citori is now the superstar. I would like to hear from someone who has experience with both and can give detailed conparison.

The old Japanese-made Winchester 101s were made by Japanese arms maker Kodensha. They were quality shotguns equal to the Miroku made over/under Charles Daly and later Browning Citori models.

I owned three or four of them, all field guns and all were traded or sold, but not because of anything to do with the quality of the guns. Just personal choice as I preferred the Miroku designed and built over/unders. I will say that the quality of the wood on my 101s were slightly better than that of the various Brownings Citoris I have owned. A co-worker owned an absolutely beautiful 101 trap model which I offered to buy from him several times, but he wouldn't sell.

In the 1980s I bought a new Winchester Model 23 Custom with Winchokes and I still have it. It will never be for sale as long as I am able to shoot. This gun was also made by Kodensha. I liked it better than the Miroku built Browning BSS side by side.

Possibly I was mistaken, but I thought the OP question was about the new Winchester 101s, not the older Japanese Kodensha made ones. The new 101s are not the same shotguns as the Japanese made ones. Different design and not to be confused with the well known, popular and highly respected Japanese made Winchester 101s. The new ones are made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal.

As I said in a previous post, I'm not familiar with this "new" Winchester 101. My general impression is that they aren't taking the shotgun world by storm. Others who follow the shotgun world more closely than me could provide a more accurate assessment of their impact so far.

Last edited by Litespeed on Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Litespeed wrote:
Coopdog wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

I am no expert either, but it is the same design that was made in Japan by Miroku for Olin Winchester from I think 1963-1987. It is now made in Belgium by FN which is known for quality. I have never even held one but the design itself had a very good reputation back in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s. Because of Winchesters changes in ownership and lack of consistent marketing the 101 has not remained as popular as it once was and the Citori is now the superstar. I would like to hear from someone who has experience with both and can give detailed conparison.

The old Japanese-made Winchester 101s were made by Japanese arms maker Kodensha. They were quality shotguns equal to the Miroku made over/under Charles Daly and later Browning Citori models.

I owned three or four of them, all field guns and all were traded or sold, but not because of anything to do with the quality of the guns. Just personal choice as I preferred the Miroku designed and built over/unders. I will say that the quality of the wood on my 101s were slightly better than that of the various Brownings Citoris I have owned. A co-worker owned an absolutely beautiful 101 trap model which I offered to buy from him several times, but he wouldn't sell.

In the 1980s I bought a new Winchester Model 23 Custom with Winchokes and I still have it. It will never be for sale as long as I am able to shoot. This gun was also made by Kodensha. I liked it better than the Miroku built Browning BSS side by side.

Possibly I was mistaken, but I thought the OP question was about the new Winchester 101s, not the older Japanese Kodensha made ones. The new 101s are not the same shotguns as the Japanese made ones. Different design and not to be confused with the well known and highly respected Japanese made Winchester 101s. The new ones are made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal.

As I said in a previous post, I'm not familiar with this "new" Winchester 101. My general impression is that they aren't taking the shotgun world by storm. Others who follow the shotgun world more closely than me could provide a more accurate assessment of their impact so far.

Thanks for the history. Very helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:50 pm 
Field Grade

Litespeed wrote:
Coopdog wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

Possibly I was mistaken, but I thought the OP question was about the new Winchester 101s, not the older Japanese Kodensha made ones. The new 101s are not the same shotguns as the Japanese made ones. Different design and not to be confused with the well known and highly respected Japanese made Winchester 101s. The new ones are made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal.

Thanks also. I would like to know more about the new one too

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Coopdog wrote:
Yes, I know that they are completely different guns. What are the Specific differences in quality? Is it the machining of the action? is it the quality of the checkering on the wood? Is it the bluing on the barrels? Is it the engraving? Is it how long they last? Is it something about the design itself because they are different designs?

Literally all of the above!

The Belgian 101 has NOTHING (literally, absolutely, NOTHING!!!!) in common with the Japanese 101, so let's get that squared away.

The 101 was a decent entry level o/u when it came out, at a decent price for the time. Browning came out with the Crossover and subsequently the CX for basically the same money as the 101, and it was game over. Prior to the Crossover the cheapest target-oriented Browning was basically a grand more than the 101, now they are the same price. It was a master move by Browning, and in my opinion the CX by far represents the best value for the dollar of ANY clay target over/under being made today.

The 101 is a $1000 gun masquerading as a $1500 gun. The CX is a $2000 gun masquerading as a $1500 gun. The 101 is not a BAD gun, but when the price is the same, EVERYTHING about the CX is better than the 101.

[email protected]