ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super x-1 Choke Tubes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:50 pm 
Utility Grade

I've got a 30-inch full choke barrel I'd like to have choke tubes installed. Any recommendations on where to send? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Super x-1 Choke Tubes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Send your barrel to Briley for thin walls. I have several friends with SX1s that have had this done and they love them.
Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:26 am 
Diamond Grade

There is a danger in putting choke tubes into an SX1. The danger concerns how the rib is held on. It is screwed on with one tiny screw on older guns, and silver soldered on newer ones. The danger is that once you install tubes, you make that section of barrel about paper thin, where the rib is fastened to the barrel. Now that paper thin section of barrel has to withstand the thousands of rounds of pounding holding that rib in place as the gun is fired over and over. Sometimes that thin section of barrel just breaks out. You might run into trouble and you might not in the future.

There are some work arounds if you want to install the tubes.
(1) You could cut off about a 1/4 inch of rib at the rear, then
have some really good TIG welder weld the rib at the rear.
(2) or you could have that welder lay a small bead along the
base of the rib connecting it to barrel at the front. This bead
on each side spread out about an inch in length will spread
the force of recoil on each shot over an area much larger
than the original and be less likely to fail.

If you have the silver soldered one, I would favor option #2, because if you Tig welded it at the rear
then your rib is going to be secured on both ends, and cannot float as the barrel heats up.
If you have the screw, I would favor option #1.

If you Tig weld at the muzzle end, do it before you install the choke tubes, so it will be welded in thicker steel, which will decrease probability of screwing up the weld.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:06 am 
Tournament Grade

When Mike Orlen installs choke tubes in a Super-X Model 1 barrel...he pins the rib in place at 3 different posts. No issues with either of the (2) barrels he's done for me...and I'm not aware of anyone else having issues with his choke tube work on the S-X1. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:15 am 
Crown Grade

Or you could have the fixed choke opened up. Or, for less than the cost of a choke tube job buy a barrel with the choke you want. NuLine has them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

I pin the rib at the first post behind the counter bore for the choke. That way the rib can still float and it relieves the force on the the thin barrel at the muzzle. Have never had a failure in more that a dozen guns.
For sure I would not advise any welding.
I have seen that when Briley install thinwalls now on a barrel with the screw in the rib they run the threads much deeper into the bore so as to have threads into the original bore.
I have witnessed a barrel screw choked by Carlson shoot the muzzle off for about 3".

CT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

winmod21 wrote:
Or you could have the fixed choke opened up. Or, for less than the cost of a choke tube job buy a barrel with the choke you want. NuLine has them.

Opening up his barrel to a more desirable single constriction might just be the best answer unless the OP feels he needs further versatility.

I don't think you'd be able buy a 2nd barrel for the cost of choke tube installation (from Mike Orlen)...his latest price sheet in this thread: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=502358

Mike does charge $29.00ea for flush choke tubes...you can pick up Tru-Choke standard size directly from the Trulock website for $18.00 ea. I typically go ahead and buy my own and send one up for the pattern he'll be using...so it's installed for return shipment.

HTH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have one presently and another previously. I used Briley, primarily because their chokes have square-shouldered threads; thus, the threads in the barrel are not cut as deeply as a standard thread= stronger muzzle. Cost more, but I think its worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Also watch Ebay - they come up in various configurations.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-WINCHESTE ... 3284984674

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:22 pm 
Utility Grade

I am looking to have some versatility, the reason for the screw in chokes. Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

hkg3k wrote:
When Mike Orlen installs choke tubes in a Super-X Model 1 barrel...he pins the rib in place at 3 different posts. No issues with either of the (2) barrels he's done for me...and I'm not aware of anyone else having issues with his choke tube work on the S-X1. Good luck!

That is often touted as a cure, but in my experience it did not work. I had a barrel that had the 3 middle ribs pinned to the posts, and the recoil eventually dislodged those three posts from the barrel, now I had a barrel with 3 missing posts in the middle. I don't believe that is unusual because Winchester used that technique on their m1200 and m1300 guns when they came out. A friend of mine shot the m1200 with the 3 ribs pinned and he also shot the three posts loose and his rib slid off. So in my experience, it works, but only for awhile.

Last edited by JoeCool on Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

searun wrote:
I pin the rib at the first post behind the counter bore for the choke. That way the rib can still float and it relieves the force on the the thin barrel at the muzzle. Have never had a failure in more that a dozen guns.
For sure I would not advise any welding.
I have seen that when Briley install thinwalls now on a barrel with the screw in the rib they run the threads much deeper into the bore so as to have threads into the original bore.
I have witnessed a barrel screw choked by Carlson shoot the muzzle off for about 3".

CT

You could be right about the welding also, although it has worked for me, does not mean there are no hazards there, many things can go wrong. Another fix is to add a sleeve to the end of the barrel and that sleeve is machined for Winchokes. I have done 2 or 3 that way. The sleeves are fatter than the barrel sort of like how most barrels now with tubes have an expansion in diameter near the muzzle. The problem with this solution is that you might not be able to get the sleeves now. I think Colonial Arms made them, and Brownells sold them for a long time, I still have a couple, but you might have trouble finding them if you want to go that way. I actually preferred that way, because the gun had a much stronger muzzle with that thicker sleeve and it used actual Winchokes which somehow seems appropriate for a Winchester.

Wait a minute, I checked Brownells, and they still list them.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... 19583.aspx

The beauty of it is that a person can do the job without the reamers. The only machining needed is to cut the barrel to whatever length you want, then have a machine shop turn down the muzzle to the diameter that the sleeve requires. The ones I did, a machine shop turned them down for about $20. The ones I had a gunsmith do, they hosed me on the price and also did not make them to the dimension I asked for and had to take them to a machine shop afterward and redo the job.

You still have the job of securing the rib, and my preference would be to have it Tig welded out somewhere near the muzzle. You could actually drill a hole in the rib at about the point sleeve base is on the muzzle, and tig weld through that hole, thereby attaching the rib, and also tacking the sleeve onto the barrel just under the rib. There are a number of ways you can go about it, just have to have some imagination.

Then again, it might be a good idea to have the choke opened up to light modified and use it that way.