ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: time to give the M50 its long deserved credit. post em u
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:41 am 
Tournament Grade

I have to say that I'm an Auto-5 guy, but this looks like a great little gun. I'll give a little background on my adventure with the Model 50 so far.

I grew up shooting my Dad's Ithaca 37 with a Cutts on the end of it and always thought that it was the coolest thing in the world, until the first time I sat beside him and he dropped the hammer and I found out how loud they were. Regardless, I wanted a Cutts gun of my own. Being an Auto-5 guy, I thought one of those with a Cutts was pretty classic, but I couldn't find one in my price range.
In my search, I found a Winchester Model 50 barrel with a Cutts (cut to 26") with a Spreader tube for $49.99. Now that looked like a dandy rig! I read this sticky and the timing thread, watched a Youtube video and decided it'd be worth a shot (no pun intended.) In my typical fashion, I did things backwards and now I had a barrel for a gun I didn't have. I posted some want ads and while I had some hits, nothing was really jumping out at me.
Then I took a trip to a "local" gunstore and amongst all the synthetic camo 3 1/2" Beretta's and Benelli's, I saw a shorter loading port, a wood stock, a front triggerguard safety and slightly worn bluing.
I asked the saleswoman if that was a 50. She was as surprised as I was when it turned out to be. As soon as I picked it up, I thought, "Man, this is a heavy gun", but it was a good heavy. It seemed to put the weight in my hands. I looked it over, a chip in the forearm, meh, not a big deal for me as a shooter. A pad, but I shouldered it and it came up perfect. I looked at the 30" FULL barrel and thought, "I have no use for it with the Cutts barrel coming, I can always flip it" I looked at the muzzle and thought it looked funny, but didn't think about it again.
Once I got permission, I attempted to pull the barrel to check the slip chamber, but whoever had tightened the mag cap must've been a lot stronger than me. I had to get a big screwdriver from the shop employee and we got it apart. I explained to him how the action worked (he's a great guy, just not a real shotgun guy) and he thought it was a pretty neat design.
I looked at the price tag and thought it was top end of what I wanted to spend, so I asked the shop owner if he had any wiggle room and he said he'd throw in the taxes. SOLD.
I took it over to a friend's house as he had owned a couple 50's in the past and he said, "Oh, this is a decent one". He was looking it over and said, "Does that muzzle look big to you?" "I thought so, but I don't have my choke gauge with me". Well, we measured it and someone had opened it up to a IMP MOD. That's a whole lot more useable for me.

Anyways, after that long winded post, here's some pictures.

The "chip" out of the forearm

Doesn't look like it's been shot a whole lot

Pad seems to be period correct, the LOP is right and it's actually still soft!

The Cutts barrel should arrive Monday. Originally I was planning on getting some more Cutts tubes, but since they seem to be going to almost $50/tube sometimes, I might just switch barrels if I need to change the choke unless I stumble upon some cheap ones (though living in Canada, nothing gun parts ever seems cheap....)

I have to take it down for a good cleaning and give the wood some loving, re-time the action and it should be good to shoot. I figure for about $350, I've got a two barreled Pre-'64 Winchester shotgun. I've still got to shoot it, but I think I'll be happy with it.

Cory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
so that forearm screw doesnt tighten again on you..remember to store it loose and loosen it after shooting it. not for every shot, just check it to see if heat is tightening it and loosen it occasionally.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:43 am 
Tournament Grade

bobski wrote:
so that forearm screw doesnt tighten again on you..remember to store it loose and loosen it after shooting it. not for every shot, just check it to see if heat is tightening it and loosen it occasionally.

Thanks, I'll do that.

My Cutt's barrel arrived yesterday, here it is with it put on.

Cory

Post subject: Re: time to give the Model 50 long deserved credit. post em
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:17 am 
Field Grade

Here are my 50's.

Top is a 20 ga, 28" barrel, mod choke.
Bottom is a 20 ga, 26" factory rib with improved Cylinder choke.

Top is a 12 ga Skeet, 26" Factory rib, WS-1 choke
Middle is a 12 ga featherweight, 26" factory rib, improved cylinder choke.
Bottom is a 12 ga featherweight, 26" after market rib, WS-1 choke.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

That's a great selection of 50's! Great chokes as well. Do you hunt them?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:40 am 
Field Grade

woodcock1 wrote:
That's a great selection of 50's! Great chokes as well. Do you hunt them?

Not as much as I should.
But on a recent quail hunting trip, I was able to borrow a 12 ga featherweight field with factory rib and WS-1 choke. It was a real killer. three times I was able to take doubles on the covey rise.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Tom28ga wrote:
If the Numrich part isn't new, it will be listed accordingly. For $2.95, it's worth having a replacement. You can always call them and find out. It's a great company to deal with.
I just ordered a 20 gauge closing spring and a buffer lock ($2.35).

I just received one from them and it appears new, measures close to 14"

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

I bought and sold a couple recently so took the new ones down for cleaning. . .The latest is a Skeet gun, WS-1 . . Sold my other one and bought this one from 1959. . Real nice gun, 99%

Here's a few pictures I took before I put them away. . Three barrel lengths ; 26", 28" and 30" . . one Round Post, two Square Posts and one Plain Barrel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
ya know i hate the thought of tossing this receiver because of a crack in it. its been sitting on my to do shelf for years.
anyone know the absolute best gunsmith who can repair it? its a 1" hairline right behind the cocking handle channel.
i was once told a good smith would use a sliver of the same metal from the same receiver to weld into it, to match up the type metal to avoid discoloration.
who can do that level of repair?
and too, who can acid etch the serial number back in? the numbers are very faint and have some pits on top of them.
it deserves a try. its a steel pigeon receiver.
lmk.
thanks.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just got a model 50 12 gauge closing spring from Numrich(?). Supposedly new and measures about 12.5 inches. Seem about right?

Thx for any feedback!

RA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:53 pm 
Crown Grade

13" is new.
12.5 is within operating length.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am aware of that. Just trying to decide if I was sold a used spring. The person I talked to said they were "probably" new since they had a number of them. I guess if it's longer than my existing original when I take it out it's still a better situation.

Thx for the reply.

RA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:30 am 
Crown Grade

you bought from numerich....and they thought it (might) be new? they are in the business of selling used parts!

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:01 am 
Tournament Grade

OK.....then who sells them new?!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:55 pm 
Crown Grade

wolfee spring co.

saw an interesting gun. 185xxx steel receiver. a hole was drilled in the bolt handle groove like a featherweight. looks like last year production m50's got the upgrade. this is the second one ive seen like this in 1961 a steel receiver. anyone else see one?

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:42 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a steel 50 with the strain relief key hole 194500 ser#
It also has the smaller ejection port.
It is milled like a aluminum receiver but is steel.

1961 12ga Win Mod 50 Cyl
1959 20ga Win Mod 50 IC, FULL, POLY
1961 12ga Win Mod 12 Cutts
2011 .410 BPS (poor mans M42)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:25 am 
Crown Grade

pics!!!!!!!!

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Put 5 boxes of shells (for the first time in its history) thru my original owner Model 50 w vent rib last Sunday. I've owned this gun from day one...1960. Still has all it's original factory parts. Never missed a lick. Four rounds (boxes) were shot on "Crazy Quail" so the magazine was being loaded and shot out continuously. I was happy it performed the way I remembered it did back in the day. I hunted with this gun from ages 13 to about 22. Then the gun was pretty much inactive until last summer. I'm a happy camper. Btw...never had any problems with it when I hunted once I figured out that it needed to be kept clean and not over lubricated.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

Not sure if I made the right call today at a gun show in Western NY. It was a 26" Round Post 12 Ga Model 50 barrel choked and Marked WS-1. Guy had it marked $275 plus tax and I offered $200 OTD. He said he could left it go for $250 plus tax and I passed.

Did I screw up or was passing the right call on this barrel. I thought that was a good chunk of change for just a barrel, but then again, they aren't making any more... IDK.... Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and pick it up, don't have a gun for it, but I know one will eventually cross my tracks again.

Thoughts please...

Last edited by M12Gunboy on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:40 pm 
Limited Edition

I'll give $300 for it !!
WISHBONE
772-349-7028

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next