ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model 12 Super Field barrel interchange, valuation questions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

A Model 12 newbie question here: looking to pick up my first Model 12--but only if it would be possible to swap out the barrel.

It's a Super Field model in 16 in gorgeous shape and with the requisite solid rib barrel--but marred, at least in my view, by a hideous Cutts compensator birdcage topped off by a Lyman adjustable choke.

I'm a longtime Ithaca 37 guy and am well familiar with the constraints for adding additional barrels to those receivers. My question is this regarding the Model 12: if I were to find a used 16-gauge Model 12 barrel, would it fit this gun? Would it drop right in, or would it require hand-fitting by a gunsmith to do so? SN is 1710XXX on both the underside of the receiver and the barrel, which should be 1959 according to a couple of sources I've found online.

Any and all advice most appreciated.

Also, I'd welcome any insight on a value. The gun's wood shows some nice fiddleback and is in 95%+ shape and the metal even better at probably 98%. Has an aftermarket (Pachmayr?) non-Winchester recoil pad that has dried rock-hard and is cracked. The only other "flaw" is that damned Cutts abomination hanging onto the muzzle. I'd appreciate any advice on a value range of the gun in its current condition so I can factor that into the cost of swapping in a new barrel, if that's possible.

Many thanks in advance for your helpful insight.

Post subject: Re: Model 12 Super Field barrel interchange, valuation quest
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:38 pm 
Field Grade

It can be changed with little or no fitting, i use to do that years ago with 20 gauges, when i could find solid rib barrels, also check and see if you have any choke markings on the barrel of your gun it could be a factory cutts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

oakisland wrote:
It can be changed with little or no fitting, i use to do that years ago with 20 gauges, when i could find solid rib barrels, also check and see if you have any choke markings on the barrel of your gun it could be a factory cutts.

Thanks oakisland. No, unfortunately, it's not a factory Cutts, as the barrel is marked "Mod."

Could you point me toward any instructions that would show what's involved in swapping a new barrel in?

Also, could you venture a guess at a value range?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:21 am 
Presentation Grade

Are you wanting to change the whole barrel asy. or do you want to change just the barrel (as in remove the barrel from the receiver extension and replace it with a different barrel) ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:20 am 
Diamond Grade

Oldman1949 wrote:
Are you wanting to change the whole barrel asy. or do you want to change just the barrel (as in remove the barrel from the receiver extension and replace it with a different barrel) ?

I'd be looking to replace just the barrel. Ideally, I'd like to find another solid rib or even a vent rib for this purpose, but I realize these might fall into the hen's teeth category.

What's involved in making the swap, Oldman?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:13 am 
Presentation Grade

Here are the step by step instructions for fitting a model 12 barrel http://www.nulineguns.com/part_part_2046_3_31_42.php
(You're not going to like it)

Bobcat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:28 am 
Diamond Grade

Bobcat Welding wrote:
Here are the step by step instructions for fitting a model 12 barrel http://www.nulineguns.com/part_part_2046_3_31_42.php
(You're not going to like it)

Bobcat

You're right, Bobcat, but I very much appreciate your breaking the news to me. I'm grateful to know this now rather than later.

I have neither the know-how nor the tooling to take on the job described. I guess I was hopeful it would be no more difficult than fitting a new barrel to a Wingmaster or an Ithaca 37. Clearly, it's not--and way above my pay grade.

So I guess I now have to make a decision: do I really want this Super Field grade Model 12 knowing that I'll have to live with that ugly Cutts birdcage and adjustable choke stuck on the muzzle?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

A super grade in nice condition is a fine gun. I would change the choke tube to a fixed choke(full,mod,cyl,spreader) and learn to embrace it. Everybody says the;re ugly,nobody says they don't work well, it is merely a cosmetic feature admired by previous generations.Consider yourself as going "retro". It's a 1959 gun so it should last forever. (sell the adjustable choke on e bay and recover some $)

Be bold
Bobcat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bobcat Welding wrote:
A super grade in nice condition is a fine gun. I would change the choke tube to a fixed choke(full,mod,cyl,spreader) and learn to embrace it. Everybody says the;re ugly,nobody says they don't work well, it is merely a cosmetic feature admired by previous generations.Consider yourself as going "retro". It's a 1959 gun so it should last forever. (sell the adjustable choke on e bay and recover some $)

Be bold
Bobcat

I hear you. I'm a big fan of retro technology that works and of period-correctness, such as the PolyChoke (I've got them on three separate pumpguns), just not of the Cutts birdcage. The two stacked together on this gun create probably more than 4 inches of ugliness on the muzzle. If I can eliminate the birdcage, at least, I think It'll look fine.

My bold plan now is to ship the barrel off to Mike Orlen and ask him to:

1) Remove the Cutts birdcage and reinstall just the adjustable choke directly onto the muzzle;

or

2) Remove the whole apparatus and install Trulock screw-ins.

It truly is a trim, fine-looking gun, especially with its 20-gauge frame, and I'm looking forward to getting it into shooting shape.

Again, many thanks for getting me straight on the impracticality of trying to swap in a new barrel. Much appreciated to learn that now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:36 am 
Diamond Grade

I'm with Bobcat. Ditch the adjustable. Get fixed Cutts tubes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:21 pm 
Field Grade

If you are going to to have the cutts remove, and still have at lease a 26 inch barrel left i would have a new bead sight put on and have him jug choke it back to ic and be done with it.