ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1921 Winchester Model 12 Trap "Black Diamond"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:47 am 
Utility Grade

Good morning, everyone.

I picked up a Model 12 at a small flea market near me on Tuesday. I was at a small table where an 80 year old Army vet named Pete was selling a handful long guns. He had a couple of pre-1900 .22s and 4 shotguns for cheap. I have never owned a shotgun before, but have quite a bit of experience with rifles and pistols.

This gorgeous Model 12 for $295 caught my eye, and after putting up with Pete's raunchy sense of humor and laughing at a few of his jokes, I was heading home with it for $250.

The action was sticky from old oil, and the barrel coughed up enough carbon and fouling that would make the county rock pile jealous. So after a deep cleaning and a well deserved oiling, my Model 12 was back to her former glory. And now I am on the hoping to learn a little more about this beautiful weapon.

Any information is appreciated!

I have attached an imgur link to an album of the gun.

http://imgur.com/gallery/PjTyqOR

Post subject: Re: 1921 Winchester Model 12 Trap "Black Diamond"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:54 am 
Presentation Grade

You did good. Reflections make it hard to tell the condition of the bluing on the receiver and bbl or whether the gun had been refinished at some time past but just the buttstock (without that pad) and the forend are worth more than you paid. Reproductions of the original red pad are available at Galazan and others.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:16 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a 1928 version of that gun but with a vent rib. It’s a great shooter. You did good!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Fantastic pick-up! As mentioned before, you didn't get hurt at ALL! Most of the members know WAY more than myself, so I'll leave the technical info to others...but if you utilize the search option there's a ton info in the archives.