ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Winchester Model 12 - What parts should be marked?? UPDA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:42 am 
Tournament Grade

Samuel_Hoggson wrote:
375shooter wrote:
Have you determined that the cutoff channel is angled in the receiver?

Thanks. Sent description and pics to Threedflyer, but a pic would be nice. I don't think it's sleeved, but if we really needed to see best view is from the chamber.

Agreed. I have a Remington 58 20 gauge that was sleeved to 28 gauge by Purbaugh.
The muzzle of my gun looks just like the muzzle on this model 12 and as you mentioned the sleeve is visible from the chamber also.
The wood on this model 12 looks more like Browning repro model 12 wood to me and as mentioned the rib has been aitered/added and also the 28 GA. stamping on the barrel appears lighter than surrounding stamping.
I am hoping that i am completely off base on these observations and this truly is a righteous 28 gauge Model 12 but if i were looking at these pics as a potential purchase i would be seeing a lot of red flags. Good luck to Threedflyer on confirming this as an original 28 gauge.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:24 am 
Field Grade

Here are several more detailed photos including the follower and inside the receiver.....not sure what you folks are asking for, but hopefully it shows in these photos.

I did NOT see any marking on the follower with close examination.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:33 am 
Field Grade

casonet wrote:
Saw this one this week. Looks to be similar. It’s still for sale.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/929491136/W ... T-1953.htm

I certainly have no illusion of this shotgun selling for $8,500.......

My goal here is to establish what I have here and come up with a "Fair" asking price......the gun is what it is, I am NOT trying to deceive anyone and have posted several photos and given as much information as I know about this gun to you folks.

It will most likely end up on an auction with all the photos and the bidders can decide for themselves.

Thanks for the observations....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You must certainly have been forthright about what you have, and I commend you for it. It’s too bad more sellers aren’t like you!

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you know Walt Lister in Wickenberg, he is a resident expert on Model 12s. I bought a 16 ga skeet two barrel gun from him a couple of years ago. He is a member of this forum and a real nice and helpful fellow. If you are looking to sell it for a “fair” price, I am always a buyer of fairly priced authentic guns. I think your gun is the real deal. Although blue blood collectors would probably find the rib a detracting.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Nothing assures top dollar like numerous high-res, pertinent photos. Plus full disclosure of "issues". Threedflyer gets an A+.

The receiver is definitely a 28 ga version. Barrel was not sleeved.

Not sure what to make of no 28 stamp on the action slide. OW was clear it was not out of bounds to find parts not stamped 28.

Not convinced re forend wood originality.

That said, it is a genuine 28 ga M-12, if in non-original condition.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:40 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks all for your feedback on this one.....I have a few shotguns to list, but will probably wait until after the new year to give folks a chance to recover financially before listing them.

I did list a 1973 production Krieghoff 4-barrel skeet set on this forum, but will pull it down soon and eventually move to auction.

Happy Holidays!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:42 pm 
Field Grade

casonet wrote:
You must certainly have been forthright about what you have, and I commend you for it. It’s too bad more sellers aren’t like you!

Thank you sir.....I do not like to get shafted when I buy guns and I take pride in being 100% straight up when I list items for sale.