ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model 50 broken hammer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:13 pm 
Limited Edition

I was out shooting skeet the other day and my trusty Model 50 just locked open - nothing reasonable would move it.

Got it home and stripped it down. The hammer seems to have shattered - there's a shaft coming up from the pin, and I found a reasonably large square-ish chunk that was the top end, and some bits and pieces that were probably in between.

So I go poking around on the interwebs and a used trigger group on ebay is $60-80, a new hammer is 55, and a used hammer is about 40.

Is this a common enough wear item on these guns that I should actually buy the new hammer and fight with installing it? Or is this more of a fluke occurrence that I'd probably be fine with a used trigger group or a used hammer?

Post subject: Re: Model 50 broken hammer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:26 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
fluke.
but keep in mind as with all old guns.....they decompose with time. everything on earth is in the process of returning to the ground they came from. you cant see it, but down at the molecular level....they are. its why jets and old ships go to boneyards to die.
guns too. i/e: youll never find me shooting a broomhandle mauser.
sadly, some Winchesters are approaching that threshold as well.

on your gun, hammers have been known to have side play from worn pivot pins sitting in alloy holes. makes me wonder if your pin hole wore and caused the hammer to twist on the pin? in which case, your trigger group is worn.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks Bob.

I think it must have just been metal fatigue - there's very little play in what's left of the hammer. I guess it just got old. It came to me well used based on the exterior condition, and I've put a lot of rounds through it.

Does make me slightly more apprehensive about running my Remington 31 around the skeet field though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
semi's do slam back that bolt pretty fast compared to a pump. riding over and over it....hey, it happens....or Winchester wouldn't have made a factory parts list.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:16 pm 
Crown Grade

seems all the m50's ive come arcross that were very WELL used, were the ones that had issues. latest one was a right pull back handle bolt guide. it just pinged the handle right off at the base w/o hitting the receiver. go figure.
I lost track of how many Bradley front beads flew off. I must say......the vast majority of issues were mostly in the trigger area. yours seems to be no exception.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:18 pm 
Crown Grade

as for buying.......just get a hammer. makes sure it matches yours to a t'. early or modified notch.
installation isn't hard.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:35 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks again Bob.

Replacement looks like just a matter of unclipping the hammer spring that wraps from the pin back to the back of the trigger group, and then I assume the pin slides out with the coiled spring? Doesn't look like there's access on the right side to drive it out..