ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cut Down The Barrel Of My 1200?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:19 pm 
Field Grade

My dad gave me a 1200 for Christmas in 1964. I shot it for a lot of years, but it still is in excellent condition as I always took care of it. As I got older and made my own money, I got newer guns. I only hunt 3 days a year in SD and I use my Red Label, Franchi AL48 20, and my 1100 Special Field.

I took the 1200 to SD several years ago, used it and enjoyed it again. However, it has a 28 inch barrel and I am use to the shorter barrels of my other shotguns. Does anyone see any harm in cutting the barrel back to 24 inches? I am not worried about loosing the choke as I usually shoot skeet or improved. The gun will never be sold as it will go to my son or one of the grandkids of the SD farmer I have hunted with for 25 years. Over time, I have given most of them at least one shotgun. I want my guns to continue hunting there long after I am gone.

Post subject: Re: Cut Down The Barrel Of My 1200?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

I don’t modify guns that I have for trading potential or sentimental value. In this case you want to make the gun suit you better. I’d say go ahead, as the 1200 will never be highly sought after, so you can’t hurt the value. Just know that the pattern will probably suck and you’ll then be in the market for a replacement barrel or choke tubes.

Good luck with your plan. Hope it works out the way you want.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I wouldn't do it, especially since the gun was a Christmas gift from your father 55 years ago and is therefore special. Cutting the barrel will substantially devalue if not ruin the gun. 28" isn't too long for bird hunting by any stretch, and a little choke is a lot better than no choke. Buy another barrel off of Ebay to cut if you must, but keep yours original.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:55 pm 
Crown Grade

My sentiments are a bit different than the others. If the 28 inch barrel is too long for you to use, which I agree with lossking should not be; then you need to decide whether it means leaving it home or use as is. If the 28 inch barrel is going to make you leave it at home rather than use it because of the barrel length, then I say cut it off.

However, if you cut it off why not have a pro do it and make it suitable for screw chokes at the same time? Mike Orlen can do that and he is not very pricey at all. I think he still provides a 10% discount for SW members. It seems to me that the main emphasis is to keep hunting with your dad's present, so to me that would be the best of all worlds. You might find when you have it professionally done and screw chokes added it will be even more useful. Good luck.

http://randywakeman.com/shotgunMikeOrlen.htm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My suggestion is to have a gunsmith cut it and thread for screw in chokes if you are planning to use it in the field. There is a reason why guns have chokes in them. Even just a few thousands helps fill the pattern out with a 12 gauge. Even if you only hunt 1 time with it that is 1/3 of you time afield.

Mike Orlen would be a guy for the job.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
so let me understand this...all your other guns are 24" ?
thats the way i read it.
never knew a red label with 24" bbls.

so....with that said, if you have all these other guns, why ruin a family heirloom?
the money youre about to dump into it to cut it, isnt worth it.
but then again, if the gun isnt all that important to you....hack away.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:30 am 
Field Grade

Hey Bobski, I remember you from years ago on Shooters or some early gun forum. I bought some S&W M-39 magazines from you. I probably went by Max there. My Remington has a 21 inch barrel and the Red Label has a 26. However, because the receiver of an O/U is shorter than that of a pump, it feels and points much shorter.

I don't know what I will do, probably nothing. I am going a bit stir crazy with this confinement. Just looking for things to think about. I got the guns out of the safe and checked them all and wiped them down. It just got me to thinking. Over the years, I have looked for another barrel, but never found what I wanted. Maybe I will look some more.

Good to hear from you again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:06 am 
Crown Grade

nickelsmith wrote:
Hey Bobski, I remember you from years ago on Shooters or some early gun forum. I bought some S&W M-39 magazines from you. I probably went by Max there. My Remington has a 21 inch barrel and the Red Label has a 26. However, because the receiver of an O/U is shorter than that of a pump, it feels and points much shorter.

I don't know what I will do, probably nothing. I am going a bit stir crazy with this confinement. Just looking for things to think about. I got the guns out of the safe and checked them all and wiped them down. It just got me to thinking. Over the years, I have looked for another barrel, but never found what I wanted. Maybe I will look some more.

Good to hear from you again.

Hey! What about the rest of us? Are we just chopped liver! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:09 am 
Field Grade

Will a vent rib barrel work on a gun that originally had a plain barrel. Just curious if the receiver was different?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Vent rib barrels will fit with no issues. Trap and Skeet vent rib barrels require a ramp on the receiver. (only on Trap/Skeet models 1200) I cut my 1200 back to 24" for the same reason you quoted. The 1200 has a long receiver and the 28" just adds to it. With the barrel at 24" the balance is just about perfect. It patterns #8's great for upland work and throws very usable patterns of steel shot for duck hunting. I love it. Don't forget that replacement 1200 barrels are not expensive and you can get an average condition barrel, cut it down and not alter your original gun as an heirloom. Just some ideas.

Darryl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Nickelsmith,
Just curious if you decided what to do? :?:

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:43 pm 
Field Grade

I am looking at buying another barrel. Thanks for asking.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:24 pm 
Field Grade

With the virus and all, 1200 barrels are now bringing more than complete shotguns were a year or so ago. I haven't done anything yet. I did not go to South Dakota this year due to the virus, so I have time to make a decision.