ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester SX4. Cast ajustment
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:28 pm 
Field Grade

I have an SX4 field with the wooden stock. I shoot left handed and had the safety reversed. I know the SX3 had shims to adjust the cast and drop. I did not receive shims with the SX4 and i was wondering if it is even possible to adjust the cast and drop at all with this gun. Of course Winchester does not have a schematic for the SX4 on their website. I have requested a copy from their customer service. I am hoping it will show a shim that is reversible.
Anyone have any experience with this.

Winchester SX4 12 , 26 and 28, Mossberg Silver Reserve II 20 , 26, Remington 1100 IT 20 26 with Tru chokes. AYA 20 , SS 26. Stoeger M3000 12 , Shadow Grass Blades 28,. Benelli Montefeltro 12 , 28 left handed, Canuck Hunter Semi 12 MODB left Hand 28.

Post subject: Re: Winchester SX4. Cast ajustment
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:47 pm 

Zman28302 wrote:
I have an SX4 field with the wooden stock. I shoot left handed and had the safety reversed. I know the SX3 had shims to adjust the cast and drop. I did not receive shims with the SX4 and i was wondering if it is even possible to adjust the cast and drop at all with this gun. Of course Winchester does not have a schematic for the SX4 on their website. I have requested a copy from their customer service. I am hoping it will show a shim that is reversible.

I don't suppose that you asked customer service about the possibility of shims to adjust Cast and drop? That might have been a good idea.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:30 pm 
Field Grade

Curly N wrote:
Zman28302 wrote:

I don't suppose that you asked customer service about the possibility of shims to adjust Cast and drop? That might have been a good idea.

I sent a query on their contact form. I like to have a schematic showing what i am dealing with. That is why i ask questions on forums. Experience speaks volumes.

Winchester SX4 12 , 26 and 28, Mossberg Silver Reserve II 20 , 26, Remington 1100 IT 20 26 with Tru chokes. AYA 20 , SS 26. Stoeger M3000 12 , Shadow Grass Blades 28,. Benelli Montefeltro 12 , 28 left handed, Canuck Hunter Semi 12 MODB left Hand 28.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:37 am 

Zman28302 wrote:
I sent a query on their contact form. I like to have a schematic showing what I am dealing with. That is why I ask questions on forums. Experience speaks volumes.

Yes, but too often, the speaking is not from actual experience but from W.A.G. (Wild A$$ Guessing) which does no one any good.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:48 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Zman28302 wrote:
I have an SX4 field with the wooden stock.

Winchester (Browning) offers no shims for the SX4.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:21 am 
Utility Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Zman28302 wrote:
I have an SX4 field with the wooden stock.

Winchester (Browning) offers no shims for the SX4.

I read that the SX4 comes with a slight cast for right-handed shooters. If this is true, it really makes me wonder why they have a reversible manual safety but no ability to adjust the cast (or drop for that matter).

What do you think are the chances that the management at Winchester would decide not to make shims available for the SX4 if the decision was theirs alone?

I say zero.

So they don't supply shims to make sure you have a good fit (probably the most important thing most of us can agree on), but they do offer chrome-lined barrels (which I assume are among the chrome-lined barrels FN is renown for), a decent weight (6 lbs 10 oz on the 26" field model), length of pull spacers, a larger bolt handle and oversized bolt release, and—ready for it—even a cantilever turkey barrel is available for it (which appears to be fairly rare). Hmmm. But they can't find it in their heart to arrange for shims. My MBA class on business ethics talked about this years ago. I know I am not making it too obvious for most people, but that's all I am saying because I do not wish to invite controversy (but it's something to think about).