ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SX3 recall
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just shipped my SX3 back to Browning for the class action repair on the Dura coat stock. Mine was so bad dirt, leaves, cloth, and whatever would stick to it. You could actually see your finger prints in the forend when you picked it up. Hope they do a good job on the replacement.

cdb

Post subject: Re: SX3 recall
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
shameful for such a big name corp.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They did a good job on my SX2. The entire gun was re-dipped in a slightly different camo pattern and came back like new. No more sticky stock or forearm and didn't cost me a cent.

Post subject: SX3 recall
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sent my SX-3 black Dura coat because it turned into fly paper. What came back was a non sticky Mattel plastic stock which in my opinion isn’t worthy of the gun. I might add that the replacement is also “tacky” but in a cosmetic way.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:05 pm 
Utility Grade

My son has a 10 year old BPS with DuraTouch, no issues.........wiped down after every hunt with a mild dish washing soap/water mix as per owners manual.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

I had my SX3 black duratouch stock replaced also because it turned sticky. Like casonet’s the replacement is the new synthetic black stock.
I did like the feel of the duratouch better until it turned to goop. But I’m ok with the new stock too.
Btw the turnaround on mine was a reasonably short time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Browning called me today, and told me the only stock they can replace mine with is the black plastic one. I told them that would look like crap, my SX3 is the Grey Shadow model. Now I will have a Grey Shadow with a black stock and forend.

cdb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:44 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

There never was a "SX3 recall. https://duratouchsupport.browning.com/

It was a limited settlement, and "Again, the Settlement only concerns firearms currently showing signs of deterioration. Any firearms submitted that do not show signs of deterioration will be returned to you."

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
There never was a "SX3 recall. https://duratouchsupport.browning.com/

It was a limited settlement, and "Again, the Settlement only concerns firearms currently showing signs of deterioration. Any firearms submitted that do not show signs of deterioration will be returned to you."

I would consider holding a gun, and when you let go of it your fingerprints are visible, and your hand sticks to it deterioration. They wanted the whole gun, so yes they recalled my SX3, since I was instructed to send the whole gun, and not just part of it.

cdb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:50 pm 
Field Grade

Does anybody know what model year Winchester corrected this problem ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:07 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

popl900 wrote:
Does anybody know what model year Winchester corrected this problem ?

They didn't. They merely stopped using Dura-Touch. It has been used bu Browning for many years and from day one, Browning warned https://www.browning.com/support/freque ... touch.html "Be especially careful cleaning firearms with camouflage, Dura-Touch Armor Coating and other special finishes. Always prevent these surfaces from coming in contact with cleaning solvents, barrel scrubbers and other strong chemicals. It is preferable to clean these surfaces with lightweight gun oil containing no solvents or with a damp cloth and mild dish soap (be sure to keep water out of the action). Damage to camouflage, Dura-Touch Armor Coating and other special finishes caused by chemicals is irreversible and not repairable."

Not everyone has had problems with Dura-Touch guns. Various insect repellents and some sun-tan lotions have caused problems, but I've never had one with any signs of deterioration.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:28 am 
Field Grade

OK txs Randy . I bought a 20 ga. SX3 in 2019 ...guessing I should not have any worries.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:10 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

There are other things to worry about. Browning has always warned about solvents and lotions. These are just plastic stocks. The Duratouch finish is the last thing applied. Obviously, walnut models are not affected.

If you don't have a problem, then you don't. They can be stripped and redipped any color you wish. You can always get a cheap black stock set and have it finished any way you choose. http://blackicecoatings.com/ .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

CDB what color/material are the original stock and forearm in your grey shadow?
Mine were the black duratouch which were replaced with the black synthetic (plastic) ones. They look the same just feel different. I’ve actually taken a liking to the new ones as they don’t rub my cheek raw after a round of clays.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

MTmag wrote:
CDB what color/material are the original stock and forearm in your grey shadow?
Mine were the black duratouch which were replaced with the black synthetic (plastic) ones. They look the same just feel different. I’ve actually taken a liking to the new ones as they don’t rub my cheek raw after a round of clays.

It was duratouch, and Grey.

cdb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

i got the SX3 back today, the stock and forearm are black and dipped to look like the carbon Fibre Maxus. I think it looks good, they did a crappy job on the recoil pad, the spacer is bigger than the pad, and stock. I will remove the pad, and regrind it. The stock change actually brought the weight from 7 pounds 5.2 ounces to 7 pounds 3.2 ounces.

cdb