ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a Super X One
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:10 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi All,

I think it is time for me to add another Winchester to my collection.

I would like to get a Super X one to add to my shotgun collection.

I think it would mostly see sporting clays duty as I would like to take that up and their is a range close by.

I've read some, but want to be sure I understand some items, are early model less desirable than the later models? Something about triggers? Also about the bead or vent rib?

I've read about replacing buffers and having o rings on hand.

Are barrels easy to come by?

Let the search begin.

Post subject: Re: Looking for a Super X One
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

clark,

The early guns have a stage I trigger which works fine if you don't screw around with the take up adjustment and many of those that did had trouble or even broke the trigger.
To prevent those troubles Winchester came out with the stage III trigger which is non adjustable. It has a smooth rounded front on the blade and the stage I has a flat front surface with vertical grooves in the front of the blade.
Also the early guns had problems with the rib coming loose or off as it was only held in place with a button head allen screw near the muzzle. They corrected this with a new model of barrel that has the rib silver soldered near the muzzle. These are the barrels of choice, especially if you plan to have screw in chokes installed. If you plan to have screw in chokes installed for sporting clays, Briley thinwalls are the only safe installation because the barrels have a thin wall thickness.
It is very important to replace the bolt buffer at the rear of the receiver with a new one made with modern materials.
Sometimes barrels become available here or on other shotgun sites and also on Ebay.
You just have to keep looking.
Get a SX-1 set up right and they are the finest semi auto ever made. I shot one in skeet for 20 years and in that time had one malfunction which was caused by a deformed shell.
My current sporting gun has never had a malfunction.

CT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:13 pm 

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 4&t=507686

http://www.jaquas.com/gunlist/Details.a ... Template=0

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:12 pm 
Field Grade

searun wrote:
If you plan to have screw in chokes installed for sporting clays, Briley thinwalls are the only safe installation because the barrels have a thin wall

I have three Super X barrels that have had choke tubes installed and none are Brileys. Everyone makes thin wall choke tubes today. Two of mine are Colonial and one is Carlson. All work with no problems. But nothing against Briley. They have an excellent reputation too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:31 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the feedback guys.

What are folk's opinions on the monte carlo stocks? I see a lot of the trap models with them, and I understand why for trap, but I have always used field guns for everything, so I don't have any experience with them.

Also, what is Winchesters trap choke? Is it improved modified? I think that would be a good compromise if I had to live with one choke for sporting clays, that or a modified.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Coopdog wrote:
searun wrote:
If you plan to have screw in chokes installed for sporting clays, Briley thinwalls are the only safe installation because the barrels have a thin wall

I have three Super X barrels that have had choke tubes installed and none are Brileys. Everyone makes thin wall choke tubes today. Two of mine are Colonial and one is Carlson. All work with no problems. But nothing against Briley. They have an excellent reputation too.

I have witnessed two Carlson installations in SX-1's shoot the muzzle and first few inches right off of the barrel.
The problem is that only Briley uses shallow square shaped threads so that the threads in the barrel are not deep like those "V" shaped threads that others use. The problem is also compounded by the fact that the SX-1 ID is not always concentric with the OD and this increases the risk of failure. The failures usually come with time and shooting tight chokes.
I believe it is false economy to use anyone except Briley.

CT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

clark,

The monte carlo stocks are for trap shooting. You don't want one for sporting clays.

The SX-1 barrels that have "trap" stamped on them were the premier barrels that were tested for POI and pattern to insure the best target results. They only came with full or improved modified chokes.
They also have a slightly higher POI that the field barrels.
The I/Mod barrels are usually right around .030" constriction which is pretty tight for sporting clays.
The modified barrels are almost always 28" and I prefer the 30" barrels for sporting clays.

CT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

searun wrote:
Coopdog wrote:
searun wrote:

I have witnessed two Carlson installations in SX-1's shoot the muzzle and first few inches right off of the barrel.
The problem is that only Briley uses shallow square shaped threads so that the threads in the barrel are not deep like those "V" shaped threads that others use. The problem is also compounded by the fact that the SX-1 ID is not always concentric with the OD and this increases the risk of failure. The failures usually come with time and shooting tight chokes.
I believe it is false economy to use anyone except Briley.

CT

I'm inclined to leave the chokes as is. I don't really want to install tubes into vintage Winchester barrels.

Just my opinion, don't think it is wrong by any means, but I look as it as leaving well enough alone and would try to source other barrels.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:59 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree with you- leave the barrels alone. I shoot my SX1 in sporting and FITASC. It has a Monte Carlo stock and choked full. I carry spreaders for the close ones in clays. If I felt compelled to open the choke I’d have it bored out to light modified rather than tubes - I prefer fixed chokes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

winmod21 wrote:
If I felt compelled to open the choke I’d have it bored out to light modified rather than tubes - I prefer fixed chokes.

I actually have two SX-1 barrels and use each depending on the course.
One is Briley thinwall choked with an assortment of choke tubes and the second barrel was tuned for sporting clays and the choke opened up to .017" by the late barrel smith Ken Eyster, after extensive testing by himself and the late Bob Baumgart . This barrel will break targets way out there as long as they are not in the next zip code.
Both are 30" without a screw in the rib.
I dislike changing choke tubes but at times it does help the score.

CT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

winmod21 wrote:
I agree with you- leave the barrels alone. I shoot my SX1 in sporting and FITASC. It has a Monte Carlo stock and choked full. I carry spreaders for the close ones in clays. If I felt compelled to open the choke I’d have it bored out to light modified rather than tubes - I prefer fixed chokes.

I hadn't thought about spreader shells.

That's a good way to handle that as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:15 am 
Tournament Grade

Looking at this one on another forum....

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/wi ... et.881513/

Not sure if it is against the rules to post from another forum? If so, feel free to delete.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:57 am 
Presentation Grade

cclark31 wrote:

Not sure if it is against the rules to post from another forum? If so, feel free to delete.

Clark,

That gun has a barrel with a screw in the rib but the way Briley has threaded it with much longer threads and an oversize cross pin in the rib I would think it would be safe in a sporting gun.

CT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

searun wrote:
cclark31 wrote:

Clark,

That gun has a barrel with a screw in the rib but the way Briley has threaded it with much longer threads and an oversize cross pin in the rib I would think it would be safe in a sporting gun.

CT

He actually has sold that barrel and is including an improved modified trap barrel, which I am finding is not so easy to find.

I figured I can source a field barrel in modified or I/C and that would cover about everything I would want to do with it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
i shot skeet doubles with a 40,000 series mc stocked sxm1 skeet gun for 3 years on the navy team.
the advantage is that no matter where your face makes contact, the line of sight remains the same.
it must work because we won the doubles event at the world for 3 years straight. i have the medals to prove it.
btw...i don't need it any longer. its for sale.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Was looking at this one too.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868683295

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:03 pm 
Crown Grade

cclark31 wrote:

Looks good to me with the IM barrel. Price is right.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have 3 SX1's and the gun @trapshooters is the one I would get, that IM barrel is a gem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Is the IM barrel to tight to use on sporting clays?

I'm kinda interested in the skeet barreled gun because they seem harder to find now.

Main purpose for gun will be for the local sporting clays course.

Actually both barrels seem to be hard to find lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Oh and the skeet barrel has a screw in the rib. I asked the seller.