ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a new pad for my SX-1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

My SX-1 is approaching 50 years old. Still in very good shape. Not mint - but no rust or dings. Just honest wear. I haven't used it in years and am getting back in shape for some trap shooting. I bought a Benelli but it doesn't shoot where you point it. My SX-1 shoots to POA and has a great full pattern.

I'm not as young as I used to be - hence the Benelli - light and, with the Inertia system and ComforTech stock, it's just a joy to shoot. But I have trouble adjusting to a gun that shoots a foot high at 40 yards. Benelli say's that's within specs. When I used to work in the software industry we would say (regarding our errors): "It's not a bug. It's a feature".

Anyway I need a new pad. I looked at Limbsaver and they don't make on AirTech that fits the gun. No custom fit and no grind to fit. I could go with a slip-on. But that would be an extreme last resort. I just don't like the way they look.

Has anyone on the board replaced an SX-1 pad with something that reduces recoil significantly like a Limbsaver AirTech? Thx

Post subject: Re: Need a new pad for my SX-1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:28 pm 
Limited Edition

I put one of these on my Super X1, and found that it it worked well:

https://www.tactical-store.com/ts-yr-ws-fcfdef.html

I don't remember if I got the large or the medium though. I had to have it ground to fit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:48 am 
Presentation Grade

I got my Sx1 used with a kick-eze pad and with target loads I hardly notice recoil at all.
I also have a Pachmayr Decelerator pad on a Model 12 that works well. But I think the Kick-eze pad is better at softening the recoil.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use Limbsaver #10540 on my SX-1's. They work great, better than Kick-eez, but be aware they more difficult to grind.
Limbsaver used to have an instruction video of how to grind their pads on their web site. Check It out.

CT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Larry Potterfield with MidwayUSA has some good videos on youtube about grinding a recoil pad to fit as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:21 pm 
Crown Grade

MTmag wrote:
I got my Sx1 used with a kick-eze pad and with target loads I hardly notice recoil at all.
I also have a Pachmayr Decelerator pad on a Model 12 that works well. But I think the Kick-eze pad is better at softening the recoil.

+1 on KickEez. Pretty easy to grind and fit. Limbsaver pads are too bouncy for my taste.