ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: proper lubrication of an SX1
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:33 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a new-to-me SX1 that appears to be in pretty good shape - not much residue in the forend, blued mag tube still blued and smooth, and the buffer and follower look to be in good shape. I've got it all disassembled and cleaned out, but my question is what are the necessary lube points, and do these prefer to run "wet" or "dry?"

my inclination would be to oil and wipe the mag tube, barrel insert, and bolt, and put a little oil or lubriplate on bolt slides and call it good. Anything I'm missing or should be careful about?

Thanks

Post subject: proper lubrication of an SX1
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A little oil on the bolt rails. A tiny bit of oil on the moving parts of the trigger group. A lot of these guns seem to have a very tight fit with the barrel extension going into the receiver. If so, I would apply a very thin film of grease on the top part of the barrel extension. A thin film of oil on the mag tube wouldn’t be a bad idea especially if it’s blued steel.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post subject: Re: proper lubrication of an SX1
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:46 pm 

BTW, that buffer is probably no good. If you knock it out it will probably shatter.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks - I bought a new buffer preemptively. Also a couple new O-rings.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use BreakFree as a lube on the rails, bolt lock, beard, and extractor and pivoting parts of the trigger and both ends of the bolt link.
Also after cleaning the gas system I wipe on a very, very thin film of the CLP to all parts of the gas system. This helps a lot to prevent the carbon from sticking and usually I can just wipe it off with a cloth.
As Curly says, install a new buffer, then you know it will be good.

CT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Don’t know if you’ve removed the action spring, but if you do and decide to replace it, it’s a good idea to clean out the retainer and lightly lubricate the spring. This is also a good time to replace the follower if needed and is the easiest time to replace the buffer.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith