ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model 12 12ga skeet..
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:14 pm 
Field Grade

What do I have? I see a model 12 12 ga skeet. It has a two pin milled Duck bill rib,Cutts gun, proof marks not covered up. barrel is 26" to where compensator body is.(where choke would screw to)

Is this a factory Cutts,, or is is a WS1 barrel that at some point in time a Cutts was added??

Serial number dates gun to 1948.. I blotched serial numbers last couple digits..
serial # is 11577XX

Post subject: Re: Model 12 12ga skeet..
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It began life as a factory “Skeet” Model 12. Then for some reason someone decided to add the Cutts, perhaps to have choices with chokes. This move has probably diminished the value of the gun by 50% or even more. Remember that’s Cutts compensators were very popular in the 1950s, 60s and even the 1970s.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:55 pm 
Utility Grade

I am new to this forum under my current name. I lost my password and was unable to recover it. So I am back. I have the winchester books and the say the only factory cutts had a flange turned on a plain barrel and no choke marking. I have one. Were factory cutts on solid rib or raised rib without choke marks. I heard winchester just took a skeet on added the cutts. There was not way to prove factory cutts except the original box. It is a shame model 12s with cuts were devalued so much.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:06 am 
Crown Grade

The original Winchester Cutts barrels had the flange like this --

Before WW-II the Model 12 Skeet Gun with plain barrel and a Cutts Compensator was offered in 12-, 16- and 20-gauge.

From 1946 to mid-1955 the Model 12 Skeet Gun with the Cutts Compensator was only offered in 12-gauge as a catalog symbol item. By mid-1955 they dropped the Cutts gun, the Model 12 Skeet Gun in 12-, 20- and 28-gauges with solid rib barrel and the 12-gauge Model 12 Skeet Gun with the Winchester Ventilated Rib (2-pin). The only Skeet Gun had the Winchester Special Ventilated Rib. By the 60s the 28-gauge was gone and the 12- and 20-gauge Model 12 Skeet Gun had the New Winchester Ventilated Rib (3-pin). When I was stationed at Elmendorf in 1974-5 one of mu skeet shooting buddies had one of these late 20-gauge Model 12 Skeet Guns in the box and the label on the end of the box the WS-1 was over-stamped in red ink CUTTS COMPENSATOR and the gun had a Cutts on its WS-1 stamped barrel. I suppose this is evidence of Winchester providing what the customer wanted.