ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester 1400 MkII not cycling or ejecting
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello all!

I've never been much of a shotgun shooter, but I was given a Win 1400 MkII 12ga by my grandma, and was hoping to shoot it this weekend. I tested it out saturday, and it does not cycle, and fails to eject. Ejection seems week when hand cycled, but not having experience with a working gun I don't know if it's weaker than it should be.

I've got a fair amount of firearms experience, just not shotguns.

I noticed after cleaning that the feel of the action seems light and smooth for about the first half - with about 1" clear between bolt face and front of the ejection port. Past that the amount of force to fully retract the bolt goes up significantly. It appears to coincide with the mag release / lifter engaging, but I'm not sure.

I did try cleaning ( it was DIRTY!) and running it again, but no luck; same behavior. I think I still need to clean it more, but I removed a ton of junk / carbon and lubed it with no perceptible change in function.

Thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: Winchester 1400 MkII not cycling or ejecting
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

It is possible that the action spring in the mag tube is in backwards. This will cause the condition you describe. As for ejection the long ejector can be bowed a little to improve its performance.

Darryl

Post subject: Re: Winchester 1400 MkII not cycling or ejecting
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Darryl.

I'm 90% sure I put the spring back in the way it was, so if it was wrong when I shot it first with the issue, it was still wrong afterwards.

Per the diagram at this page:
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/winches ... parts.html

The fat end goes towards the muzzle. That is the way it's installed now, pretty sure that's the way it's been installed. I switched it last night, and just manually cycling seemed even worse feeling.