ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super X Model 1 12-step program
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:52 am 
Field Grade

I know this is the wrong group but I need help to stop buying SuperX's. At a local gun show yesterday and found a 42xxx skeet grade, great wood, ribbed trigger, screw rib barrel and skeet choke, just a few marks in the bluing on the underside of the barrel (gun rack maybe). Still had the sticker on the piston, plug in the mag tube and looked seldom fired. Had to take it home, making it #5 1/2 on the lineup. Even passed on a beautiful Browning Double Auto to get it, and that's what I was looking for.... Is there a cure?

Post subject: Re: Super X Model 1 12-step program
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No vaccine yet

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:42 am 
Tournament Grade

I just picked up my second one last week...

They are addicting, I'm going to have to make room in the safe!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Get used to it.
At a time I had 10 in various versions.

CT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Sorry bud. It’s a chronic condition.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have three including a Skeet Model NIB. Get them while you can. Only 80K were made

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hmmmm. Have around 8. And I’m in the UK so much Harder to find over here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wow! I was under the misunderstand that one person wasn’t allowed to own that many firearms in the UK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:04 pm 
Crown Grade

This is a little off topic, but this looks like the right group to ask.

I help coach a local high school trap team. One of the new shooters showed up with a Super X model 1 trap gun.

Gun was in great condition, my only concern is if something happens to the gun, are availability of parts a concern?

Are there any known problems with the gun?

Thanks.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:37 pm 
Crown Grade

xsshooter wrote:

I help coach a local high school trap team. One of the new shooters showed up with a Super X model 1 trap gun.

Gun was in great condition, my only concern is if something happens to the gun, are availability of parts a concern?

Thanks.

Just keep it clean and I would definitely replace the bolt buffer. NuLine and I think Midwest Gun works have parts. Those guns are pretty much indestructible.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They are as tough as a Mack Truck. Parts are for the most part readily available. I would keep on hand an extra bolt handle and an extra extractor and spring.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:39 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

markpixs wrote:
I know this is the wrong group but I need help to stop buying SuperX's. At a local gun show yesterday and found a 42xxx skeet grade, great wood, ribbed trigger, screw rib barrel and skeet choke, just a few marks in the bluing on the underside of the barrel (gun rack maybe). Still had the sticker on the piston, plug in the mag tube and looked seldom fired. Had to take it home, making it #5 1/2 on the lineup. Even passed on a beautiful Browning Double Auto to get it, and that's what I was looking for.... Is there a cure?

This group is the one that gave the SX-1 bug to me, now I have two & you're asking them for a cure. One good thing about it... it's the best bug to have!

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:02 am 
Tournament Grade

Anyone hunt with their SX1's? I know they are considered "heavy" but I like the additional weight.

I don't plan on taking it on a 20 mile hike for upland, but for waterfowl and dove shoots, I think it will work out great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

At 70 I don’t hunt with 8 lb guns anymore. When I was 20, no problem but back then we really didn’t have the lightweight choices that we have today, except for the Franchi which had a reliability problem.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:38 am 
Crown Grade

The Super X1 is a great dove gun. For ducks you’ll be limited to 2 3/4” shells. If it’s a full choke I personally wouldn’t shoot steel duck loads through it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

winmod21 wrote:
The Super X1 is a great dove gun. For ducks you’ll be limited to 2 3/4” shells. If it’s a full choke I personally wouldn’t shoot steel duck loads through it.

No steel through my Winchesters. I'll gladly pay for Bismuth. That isn't the most expensive part of my hunting trips anyhow, it is the time! lol But I'm making time this year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

xsshooter wrote:

Thanks.

Jim,

If it is an early gun that has the rib held on with a button head allen screw at the muzzle it should be removed, the threads cleaned with a strong solvent and then replaced with red Locktite.

CT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks for all the info on the gun. I passed along to the dad and kid.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:56 am 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:
I have three including a Skeet Model NIB. Get them while you can. Only 80K were made

They only made 67,000 of the Dbl Auto.
Tell us more about the Browning.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think the thread is about the SX-1.