ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SX1 bolt handle fix?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:46 pm 
Limited Edition

I recently acquired a SX1 in pretty good shape. Probably had been a hunting gun - some nicks and dents on the stock, but the internal mechanicals look almost new. And true to the reputation, I substantially upped my sporting clays score with it.

However, on one station the bolt handle fell out. Fortunately it landed on the platform, but could as easily have fallen off into the grass.

Is there a mod or remedy for this?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: SX1 bolt handle fix?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Not sure about the Super-X Model 1,but a lot of self loading guns ,have a way to tighten up the mechanism that holds the bolt handle in place.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

I used a file and made mine look like this http://www.nulineguns.com/images/produc ... X1-ALT.jpg Go easy on the file or you might have a hard time getting the handle back out.

Last edited by Rack-N-Roy on Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:35 pm 
Limited Edition

Rack-N-Roy wrote:
I used a file and made mine look like this http://www.nulineguns.com/images/produc ... X1-ALT.jpg

So that's just opening up the notch a bit? Mine appear to be more of a hemisphere than a right-angle cut.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From what I can gather there were two styles: the hemisphere and the square notch. The hemisphere comes out easily. The square notch may require vice grips. That’s been my experience

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

casonet wrote:
From what I can gather there were two styles: the hemisphere and the square notch. The hemisphere comes out easily. The square notch may require vice grips. That’s been my experience

I filled mine a little at a time and tested it in and out of bolt, when it felt snug I stopped. One of my guns (I have 4) come with an oversize competition style handle, it's V shaped instead of hemisphere. I don't know who made that handle, it's not one of Jacks First handles. https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify. ... to-shotgun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

The easiest mod is to square off the inboard side of the standard half moon recess.
I use a small cut off disc to grind a little bit at a time. I continue this process until it takes a pair of vise grips clamped onto a piece of scrap leather on the handle to pull it out.

There is another way that I use on my own guns and that is to make the plunger spring shorter (stiffer) and shim it so it coil binds at the amount of travel just needed to remove the handle.
I believe that the handles can jump out because of the bolt coming to an instant stop when it hits the buffer, that inertia makes the plunger move rearward and can sometimes disengage with the handle.

I like my second way the best because you can still remove the handle without the need of mechanical help. However it is a more difficult and time consuming to accomplish.

If you are not able to work on the handle yourself, you can purchase a modified handle from NU-Line Guns.

CT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought a spare to have. I just bought the Nu Line one that was already modified. I'll probably end up modifying my ones that came on my guns too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:13 pm 
Limited Edition

I went to pick up the SX1 to go shoot a couple rounds of skeet, and the handle was missing. Somewhere between station 8 last Saturday and the rack this morning it disappeared.

Amazing how little effort it takes to drop that sucker out. I'll probably just buy the pre-modified version.