ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model 12 owners- tip on oversized safety
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:13 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello All,

I have a confession- I waited until all of my model 12s had benefitted before sharing the following tip.

If you didn't realize this, it appears that the Oversized Safety for the Winchester Model 50 works just fine in the Model 12.

Without mentioning names, I have found/bought/installed 2-3 of the ones labeled for the Model 50 in my Model 12 shotguns [and one in my Model 50]. They fit/function exactly the same.

There is a parts house that shall not be named which carries them, but they don't cross list them between the two models. You would have to know to look for them.

So- if you like the oversized half-circle safety design, keep your eyes open for them listed for the Model 50 also- you may find them faster.

Post subject: Re: Model 12 owners- tip on oversized safety
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Four of my Model 12s and one Model 42 were fitted with “Crowe” safeties that are a short lever with a ball on the end. I really like them

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:51 am 
Field Grade

Years ago my Dad was deer hunting with his Model 50 and missed a shot, so he soldered a silver dime to the safety. We still have that Model 50.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:25 am 
Limited Edition

I glue buttons on the safeties of my 870's so I can push it off with the second pad of my trigger finger. My mdl 12's remain unmolested. The mdl 50 safety seems like a good idea.