ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 101 stock question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:01 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a new in the box 101 field gun 12 gauge 30”bbls and fixed chokes F/F. This is a 80’s vintage gun made in Japan.

I enjoy shooting the gun on skeet and sporting. The trouble is the stock, it’s short and low at the comb. I see that Winchester has RE-introduced the 101 and was thinking about getting a new sporting stock from them. Does any one know if the new 101 receiver is the same dimensions as the original?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: 101 stock question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I do not know for sure but I am willing to offer a big "I sure do not think so" to that question. FN makes the new gun and it is a different gun that the Japanese guns.

However, there are lots of stocks available for the Japanese 101's in different outlets. I have purchased several on eBay.

Chris at Eagle Trading Company specializes in 101's, has stocks for sale, and can do a good job of telling you what fits what.

Is the stock too short because it has been cut? Are you just too long for the factory length? Most of the stocks for the 101 are pretty consistent by type in dimensions. That is, one field stock has pretty much the same dimensions as another. You can get a trap stock but it is at least 1/2" higher than a field stock and thicker. People do cut them down.

Maybe having some one put a spacer or pad on your stock and adde a comb adjuster would be a better way to go?

I lost a lot of weight in the last few years and have ended up where my factory 101 and other stocks are too low. I picked one gun that I can shoot for everything I do and added a comb adjuster and custom fit the length. After I got over the initial looks I really like it. Did not add much weight to the stock and it is dialed in perfect for me now. I consider it the best money I have ever spent on shooting equipment.

And I still spend a lot of time looking for the perfect 101 stock to buy and fit to my 2 101's. I can tell you not to go cheap on trying to find a replacement because Win made a lot of crappy stocks and some great stocks along the way. And there are some model changes within the run of the 101, And long and short tangs. That is why Chris is such a good resource.

Post subject: Re: 101 stock question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Bill,

The stock is original but like all 70-80’s guns they have short LOP. In this case 13.75. I am comfortable with a 15.25 length. I added a wood extension and a recoil pad to make it close but I don’t like the looks of it.

Thanks for the tip I’ll try Eagle trading. If not I’ll have to do some soul searching and decide wether I like the gun enough to go for a custom stock.