ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pitted Model 12- Matte Blue or CeraKote?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:32 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello,

I picked up a Model 12 Field for a Ben and a Ulysses, plus tax, this year. I got it this cheap as it had some notable pitting on the right side of the receiver, and one or two other spots on barrel/mag tube- but not significant anywhere else. It was missing an ejector and the action seemed rusted shut, but it wasn't.

I have removed and killed the rust [acidic rust treatment after removal], and then used some cold-bluing, but I am not thrilled with the look. I also replaced the ejector and detail stripped/cleaned the action, plus replaced the seized safety with a Winchester oversized one.

I am debating what to do for refinishing, but I want to keep the price as low as possible, as I have spent a total of under $225 on it so far. [don't worry- I made up for that on other purchases, where I paid over the normal price.]

I have a guy I trust to reblue the shotgun, but it would require shipping it half-way across the country.

I have another guy I trust to do great CeraKote work on anything [he's done 4 handguns, and some motorcycle parts for me], and I can drop it off at his house.

I plan on doing the detail strip before dropping it off with whomever does the work. I've detail stripped the Model 12 a few times, so this is not a big deal. The trigger group is irritating, but no biggie.

When shipping is factored in, the matte bluing would cost me around $100 more than a cerakote finish.

Since the pitting takes this out of the realm of collectible, and the pits are deep enough that I don't want that side of the receiver planed to 1/2 its thickness to remove all trace of pits, I am considering the cerakote for this shotgun.

Do any of you have any functional/performance reasons to pick bluing instead of ceraKote?

I am familiar with the aesthetic reasons and the tradition, but don't know if cerakote creates problems for the Model 12.

What are your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Pitted Model 12- Matte Blue or CeraKote?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:27 am 
Tournament Grade

IMHO, I would go with cerakote. I was at a gun show this past weekend and saw a CZ that was done in a carbon fiber finish (receiver and barrels) - very unusual and very attractive. Since the collector's value is not a consideration, I would cerakote.

I'm Bill but my friends just call me ... Bill

Post subject: Re: Pitted Model 12- Matte Blue or CeraKote?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

It's a great shooter...any functional Model 12 is...so me personally, I'd go with the Cerakote. If there is some pattern available like carbon fiber, to hide the pitting, all the better.

Once it's reblued, it's no longer original anyway. Plus there are tons of banged up, or pristine, and everything in between, original guns in existence. Except for condition, they all look almost the same.

In addition, there are non-factory "custom" guns that vary from garish to beautiful. But somebody liked and chose to customize each and every one of them.

That carbon fiber finish sounds to me like it would be unique without being gaudy or extreme. And, at least as interesting or attractive as the millions of originally finished versions out there that do not have collector or specific "original" value.

You'd have a unique shooter, and save a few bucks to boot if you decide on a cerakote paytetn or color that looks good.

I've never owned a coated gun, so take my opinion with that in mind.

Good luck and let us know how it worked out. Photos?