ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super X 1 Waterfowl Hunting
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've had my newest Super X 1 out on a few waterfowl hunts this season so far in TN. I have a 30" Full choked barrel on it and I am using Boss Shotshells 2 & 3/4" 1 & 1/4 oz #5 copper plated bismuth.

It has been miserable hunting on the first 4 trips I made this year. I think I fired 4 shells and harvested one duck. Our public land draw blind just wasn't holding any ducks.

I stumbled across a guided hunt for a good price over by Reelfoot lake, so I texted a buddy and we signed up for a hunt on the 30th.

Man what a hunt, we killed a 9 man limit of 54 ducks! We picked up 47 of them. I ended up bringing a canvasback drake and a couple of bull redheads home to mount.

Funny part is one of the guides said the gun looked older than he was, to which I replied it was. He asked what gun it was and I told him. He said he hadn't seen any of them come out to the pit, and then shouldered it. He said it felt really good and was good pointing. He was hunting with a SX4.

Anyhow, the point of my post in the Winchester forum, I ran quite a few shells through my SX1 and it functioned flawlessly 90% of the time. I only had two issues through the whole hunt. I would shoot the first shell and the gun would jam up. The best way I could describe it is maybe the shell stop didn't catch the 3rd shell in the magazine and it would pin the second shell to the trigger group and would not let the carrier raise it to the loaded by the bolt.

The way I would clear the jam is to make sure the bolt is locked rearward, then I would push the 3rd shell back into the magazine and get the 2nd shell loose. It was kind of a random issue and only happened twice.

It was also pouring down rain all day during the hunt. I'm not sure if that effected the performance of the gun or not.

Anyone else experienced anything else like this?

I have replaced the return spring in the stock and a new buffer. I did flip the return spring follower as it was worn, but I also have a replacement for it. I am considering replacing it with a new one anyhow just for a piece of mind.

Here are a couple of pics of the my SX1 and our ducks.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Super X 1 Waterfowl Hunting
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sounds like your magazine cut off is cracked and should be replaced.
They are tricky to change.

CT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Glad someone is killing some ducks! Southern IL sucks this year! Nice work with your SX1!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

searun wrote:
Sounds like your magazine cut off is cracked and should be replaced.
They are tricky to change.

CT

I assume that would be installation of this kit?

http://www.nulineguns.com/part_part_185_3_31_41.php

You have to drive the pin out correct? I have the teardown instruction kit from NuLine, I believe I could do it.

I haven't seen any visible damage, but I haven't inspected everything either.

Last edited by cclark31 on Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

winmod21 wrote:
Glad someone is killing some ducks! Southern IL sucks this year! Nice work with your SX1!

There is just something about this pit they have leased, it always has ducks. It is very close to two refuges, so I'm sure that helps too.

I really do like the SX1 for everything so far. I don't see me buying any other semi auto shotgun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

After comparing my field to my sporting SX1, I believe it is more of a shell issue than a gun issue... I read some old post were a lip on the shell rim can cause an issue from reloads etc. The Boss shells have very high brass on them and I believe that can cause a small issue. But I did order a cut off kit from Nuline to have lying around if I need it.

I think my field gun is going to need a recoil pad. Those baby magnum duck loads will beat you down!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Was able to get one more long weekend hunt out my Super X 1 field for the season.

We didn't kill big numbers, but we had a blast.

Super X 1 was flawless on this trip as long as I did my part.