ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Model 59, Closure spring adjustment
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:46 pm 
Field Grade

My 59's spring measured 11 3/4" so it should be okay, appreciate the information provided here for adjustment. I just counted the turns needed to take out the buffer plug (haven't seen any description of what exactly constitutes the buffer itself) and counted back while threading it in. Don't understand the line about tightening the buffer until it just takes up on the inertia rod, but looks like it doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:37 pm 
Utility Grade

rbdjr wrote:
Not hard to get stock of made a home made spanner socket , works well. 3/8" drive with a 1/4" adapter, comes on and off in less than 2 mins. I could tell you the size if interested

I know I’m late to the party but I’d like to know how to get the stock off that hollow aluminum cylinder inertia rod housing that connects to the receiver?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You have to have a special wrench (is there any other kind) that’s unobtainable. Or you can make your own

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
sometimes a cold chisel blade with vice grips clamped to it will do the trick.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://606f79f3c2431.site123.me/
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:32 pm 
Utility Grade

casonet wrote:
You have to have a special wrench (is there any other kind) that’s unobtainable. Or you can make your own

Yes...Every wrench is special...Especially the unobtainable ones! :lol:

I'm all ears if anyone has ideas for making one of these special unobtainable wrenches.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:49 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
you take a 3/8 socket the same OD as the stock tube, have someone grind out the grooves to engage the slots. use an extension and wrench and viola.....
https://www.jpgbox.com/page/63064/

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://606f79f3c2431.site123.me/
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

Last edited by bobski on Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

I had a socket modified. When I was still working I had our machinist do it. Took about 4 passes with an end mill to make the mods. If you know or have access to a machinist it oughlt to be fairly cheap to have the mod done unless you want to tackle it yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Now that y'all explain it, I kinda feel dumb for troubling y'all. I have some very handy friends, but I think I may try to tackle this one on my own. Thanks for the help everyone!!

I'm trying to get the stock off to refinish the wood and give ole gal (Idk why she/it is female :lol: ) a deep cleaning. Once I get her finished and put back together (hopefully {CR8)
I'll post some pics or vids to get some feedback and ideas for improvement for next time.

Cheers Everyone!!
:B3