ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model 12 forearm checkering
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

A newly acquired acquaintance and I were comparing Model 12 16 ga guns with both made in the 1940’s. He was asking about extended forearms compared to the corn cob field style and sent me a picture of his forearm. In comparing it to mine, and looking thru the Riffle Model 12 book for examples, I didn’t see any forearm types where there is a “groove” on each side of the forearm instead of checkering. Was wondering if the forearm is simply a variation from Winchester or the forearm might be post production after market ? Both forearms have the diamond pattern checkering on the underside.

He also said he felt his gun was manufactured in 1947 based on a chart he had found. However, the Riffle book says a serial number gun of 1,053,000 was made in 1945. I told him I think I would believe the Riffle book info. He didn’t divulge where the chart he cited came from.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Model 12 forearm checkering
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

The forend is an after market replacement.

According to George Madis and in his book "The Winchester Model Twelve" a gun with the serial number 1053000 would have been made in 1947.
Mr. Madis' information was obtained from Winchester employees and factory records.

CT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:48 pm 
Crown Grade

That bottom picture appears to be an old Bishop PA-5 slide handle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:36 pm 
Crown Grade

I’ve got the same grooved forearm, some Italian company. Name escapes me.

I like it, looks good and is comfortable to shoot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks to all for the follow up information. The Model 12 certainly is a mysterious animal. Lots of variations. I’ve read that Winchester would make just about any variation you wanted on a gun. Every time I read about someone disputing whether a Model 12 variation is original or not someone comes along right after with an anecdote about being an original owner of a gun with the same features.

I’ve always kind of lusted after an all original pigeon grade trap gun with a separate skeet barrel assembly. However, I’ve read about a lot of fakes of pigeon guns being made up I’m half afraid to really try to find something like that for fear of being snookered.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Like you, I'd be terrified to buy an Model 12 Pigeon Grade. There are probably more for sale on GI and Gunbroker right now than ever left New Haven. There was a cottage industry in North Idaho making them some years back, however the prime mover & shaker in the operation has passed away.