ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Field, Duck, Skeet, Trap- which would you choose?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:29 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello,

I can understand some of these differences, but would like to confirm my basic understanding.

Field- entry level and completely fine. Designed for packing around a lot.

Heavy Duck- a field grade that has an extra beefy barrel and/or receiver, to handle 3" [paper] shells. Otherwise not significantly different from a Field- other than weight [porky- which weight makes it solid for shooting range games].

Skeet- more refined fit/finish, with or without ribbed barrel, and factory WS-1, WS-2 or Cutts barrel. Designed for quick response and closer targets. No reliability differences from Field or HD. Like Field- 2.75" shells only. Like above three, set for something like 50/50 poi above/below front sight bead.

Trap- more refined fit/finish than Field/HD, with or without ribbed barrel, and a factory barrel of Full or Choke, with or without monte carlo stock to fit different aim point for loads [tends to be set up for 60 above dot and 40 below.]

IF you could only own one of these, and the 4 in contention were all relatively the same quality and price, what would YOU do, and why?

Post subject: Re: Field, Duck, Skeet, Trap- which would you choose?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:39 am 
Crown Grade

I’d get one of the target grades. I think the triggers, fit, finish, and function are usually better than field models in my experience. I’ve shot field grades with trigger pulls that had to be over 5 pounds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

bczrx,

We would have a more prudent recommendation if you would tell us your intended usage.

CT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:22 pm 
Crown Grade

What kind of gun are you talking about? Model 12? Model 21? Model 50?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:57 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello All

12g Model 12 is what I am talking about.

As to usage- primarily at a shooting range- various clay games.

If I were hunting, I am in CA, so have to use steel shot. This seems to be something I shouldn't fire through the model 12. I already have an Ithaca 37 with Roto barrel- which means steel shot is ok, as long as smaller than 2 [or was it 4] shot, according to Ithaca.

I am just trying to verify my understanding about levels of refinement, etc.

Currently [and for past 7 years] I get a chance to use a shotgun about 1-2 times a year. I don't see that changing for another 5-7 years, due to work and family obligations.

I would like the best quality that will allow me to bust clays in the widest variety of games.

I am not averse to hunting- but just don't have time or desire to do so. And, if I did, I have lighter pumps/OU/semis that can handle steel- which is required EVERYWHERE in my state for hunting. [well- non toxic that is].

I hope this helps get a better idea. I am really just trying to see if I missed anything in the distinctions between the 4 grades.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:43 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
field guns will have low mileage but will be scared from abuse in the field.
skeet guns are pretty and will be more worn out from high usage, but are kept in good order.
duck guns will be more rusted and have low wear from seasonal low usage.
trap guns will be pretty and will have high usage. most will be proudfully decorated to be displayed amongst others with the same tastes.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:11 am 
Crown Grade

I guess if I had to pick just one,I would go with the field grade.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

bczrx,

It is a difficult choice but if it was me then I would look for a nice 28" field gun with a Mod choke.
You will most likely need to be able to change the [email protected] for the different clay games and if the fixed choke gives you problems then have screw in chokes installed.
With these additions you can shoot any clay game and upland hunt with it also.

CT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

Most 12 ga skeet guns will be found with WS1 choke stamp. That usually translates as improved skeet (or light IC). A minority are WS2 or close to light mod. The 1950s Super Fields are basically solid rib skeet guns with non-skeet chokes. "Mod" would make for a versatile clays gun.

Most trap guns are choked "full". Winchester's idea of full is pretty tight, between 30 and 42 thou, IME. Drop at comb is less. Depending on how it fits the individual pattern can be pretty high.

One gun for everything from skeet to handicap trap is a tall order. But a 28" solid rib field model in "mod" is about as close as you'll get to a jack of all trades M-12.