ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model 12 Carrier Question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello!

I recently purchased a model 12 trap model. I did quite a bit of research before pulling the trigger (pun intended) on the purchase but there are still a few questions I have after actually having it in my hands.

1) With a shell in the magazine, when pulling the action rearward, is the shell from the magazine supposed to only partially be on the carrier? I can post a picture if needed but basically the shell doesn't come all the way back. It does go in the chamber properly when putting the action forward.

2) Is the trigger lock supposed to be painted red?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Model 12 Carrier Question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

I say your gun is working as intended and I've not seen red painted safety.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

The safety button should have a red band visible when pushed in to the shooter’s left side of the gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:59 am 
Diamond Grade

Red lacquer in detent area normal. On M-12s and 42s the cartridge cutoff function does not also capture cartridges in the magazine. The rearward position of cartridges in the magazine and during feeding is set a) above, by the bolt stop (a projection on bottom of bolt slightly behind breech face) and, b) below, by the shell plate. The shell plate's downward travel limit is set by the shell stop (a projection at bottom of receiver loading port). Parenthetically, 28s have a large shell stop, one way the collector can tell if he's got himself a 28 ga receiver.

This is a never-ending source of confusion for those familiar with more modern designs, eg., 870 or Mossberg 500, for which the cartridge cutoff doubles as a magazine cartridge stop.

Agree with others, gun seems to be working as it should.