ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally got an SX1
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:14 pm 
Limited Edition

I have several Winchester shotguns , a model 50 , a 1300 a 1400(MK1) a 1500xtr and now , finally ......an SX1. I've heard a lot about them on here and have known about them for some time , but our paths have never crossed. Until today. The nightshift foreman at my job is an avid WW2 collector , and I mean AVID. He has 20 M1 Garands....all are original and with matching #'s. He has probably as many K98's and Lugers as well. And 1911's. Anywho.... he knows I'm into shotguns and passes me deals from time to time. He phoned me on Sunday and told me about a shotgun a gentleman had for sale. It was a Winchester. My friend is very very well versed in all things WW2..... shotguns ??? not so much.. I asked him what kind of Winchester.... he didn't know. He gave me the gentleman's phone # and after talking with the guy , I found out it was an SX1. Skeet model.... with a 2 digit serial #. Now I'm paying attention !!!!! It's like new , no box....grrrrrr. But is immaculate... it has been shot but very very little. My question is... could this be one of the first Skeet models produced ???? As an added bonus.... the guy also had 2 Winchester 1400 barrels....a 26" Skeet and a 30" full.... both vent rib... both like new.. I've read that Winchester only made about 86 or 87,000 SX1's I'm hoping to get some pics uploaded later....I'm a little more excited with this one than normal...I know production records are scarce if not impossible.. just hopin someone knows something I don't.....how many of the first ones were skeet , trap , field ???? Thanks in advance for comments...

Post subject: Finally got an SX1
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Send me your email and I will send you an article that explains everything that you need to know about the gun. Above all, if you buy it, don’t shoot it without replacing the bolt buffer. [email protected]

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post subject: Re: Finally got an SX1
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:01 am 
Presentation Grade

Welcome to the club {hs# Get in touch with casonet. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Finally got to take it apart and was not surprised. It hasn't been shot much , but it hasn't been cleaned much either. I took it to work and cleaned it vigorously in the solvent tank. Bolt , trigger group , and receiver. Buffer didn't look bad , but I took it out anyways. Ordered a new recoil spring , buffer and o rings for it. Now just have to wait.......... ugh. This gun has a serial number in the first 20. Would the Cody center in Wyoming have any info on it ? I know production records are sketchy... I'm debating on whether or not to shoot this thing.... I mean... I want to...but should I ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:25 pm 
Limited Edition

As a side note... any recommendations as to a high quality polish for the wood on this gun ? I would like to clean and polish the stock set while I have it apart. Thanks in advance.......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Shoot the SX1 that's what it's made for, they're not collector guns unless one of the master engraving wizards worked their magic.

BTW where did you order the return spring ? I can't find any :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

1 eye,

Do as casonet recommends and also since it is an early gun it most likely has an allen button head
screw holding the rib on at the muzzle. Remove it and clean the threads with a strong solvent and reinstall it with red Locktite.
I understand that OEM action springs are hard to find right now but DO NOT use an aftermarket HD action spring. They cause cycle problems and mechanical failures.
SX-1's are working guns and meant to be shot. The only collectable ones are a very few high grade custom shop guns and the two 20ga's in the Cody gun collection.
All the factory records are gone so history is difficult to obtain. It would seam your gun would be from the first year of production, 1974. Production was stopped with guns in the 89000 range, but those guns were made up from spare parts.

CT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

You should probably just buy a bigger safe now. These things seem to multiply once you let one in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know what Fischer says about action springs, but personally I wouldn’t worry about it as long as you are shooting light target loads. If you move up to full house or heavy loads then, yes, a fresh spring might be in order.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for all the replies and info. I don't plan on shooting anything over 1 oz through this gun. Probably the occasional round of table trap with the guys from work on a Friday afternoon. And possibly a hunt or two a year for quail and pheasant. Right now just waiting on "essential" refreshing parts. Also looking for recommendations for a quality wax/polish for the wood. Maybe a renaissance wax or lemon wax type ?? I have an 1100 in every gauge and love them all , but if this shoots half as good as I've read , they may go to the back row of the safe. It's a shame these guns didn't realize their true potential. From what I've read..and seen ..they're every bit as good as an 1100 if not better. I have a late 40's model 12 , and this gun reminds me a lot of that one.