ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model 12 Mechanical Question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:14 pm 
Field Grade

The action on one of my Model 12s doesn't always lock up when I push the slide handle forward the first time. Then, if I try again, pushing the slide handle forward with more "authority," it will lock up OK.

I have another Model 12 that is not as finicky - it always locks up with "normal" forward "thrust."

Is this something that's easily adjustable, or should I just learn to live with it?

TIA,

Tom

Post subject: Re: Model 12 Mechanical Question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

I would take out the trigger assembly and check to see if both slide lock springs are intact.
https://www.trapshooters.com/attachment ... pg.471842/ particularly the upper one.

Bobcat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:38 am 
Diamond Grade

Agree. And while you have the trigger group out, remove the bolt and ejector, clean the heck out the receiver and guts. Get the raceways and extractor recesses spotless. Sparingly relube with something like CLP viscosity.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:25 am 
Field Grade

Thanks to both of you. Sounds like a project for next week!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:41 pm 
Field Grade

UPDATE: Well, I took the trigger group out as suggested. I did this once before on an older Model 12 and slightly chipped the buttstock where the "tang" was inlet into the stock (tight fit), so this time I loosened the buttstock slightly - first. After I got the trigger group out, I took off the lifter. But then my disassembly guide said to stop there and to leave further disassembly to a qualified gunsmith. But I could tell at that point that both slide lock springs were there and looked OK. I could also tell that a good internal cleaning was needed. So I basically punted and sent the gun off to Simmons this afternoon for a good overhaul. I also asked them to add 1/2" of spacers under the buttpad to get me to 14".

My wife and I moved into a patio home five years ago - no basement. So I really don't have a good place to do work like this. In the summer we leave one car out in the driveway - that gives me space in the garage for reloading and other projects, but both cars are inside in this weather, leaving me more bored than usual. As a result, by the time spring (and my vaccinations) gets here), I'll have a few more trap guns than I really need. Got to do something during lockdown ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

I was about to ask you where you lived. Never mind.