ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: removing SX1 action spring
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:15 am 
Presentation Grade

What's the recommended procedure for removing an SX1 action spring if you don't have the extra stop hole drilled (as shown in the sticky?)

Is removing the tube from the receiver recommended? Or required?

Thanks

Post subject: removing SX1 action spring
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you decide to remove the tube from the receiver, I would strongly suggest that you stake a witness mark that shows you how deeply the tube is screwed in and will allow you to re-install it exactly where it was. If you get it in too deeply, then you will have a hard time removing and reinstalling the bolt. Use a little blue locktite also. You can easily drill that hole that helps retain the spring.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post subject: Re: removing SX1 action spring
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

Win50 wrote:
What's the recommended procedure for removing an SX1 action spring if you don't have the extra stop hole drilled (as shown in the sticky?)

Is removing the tube from the receiver recommended? Or required?

Thanks

I found the quickest / easiest way was to cross drill a hole thru the tube. You can see / read about it in the above sticky "Pictorial "How To" clean SX1." Rather than use a screwdriver(s) to pull the spring back...I used a small mechanic's hose hook. Worked perfectly.

Since I was replacing my action spring...I went ahead and drilled the tube with the spring in place without issue. If you're going to reinstall the same spring because you're cleaning, etc...you probably will not want to do that on 1st removal.