ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new SX1 owner with qustions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:26 pm 
Utility Grade

After following all of the threads on the SX-1, I finally broke down and bought one. It's an early model, M6925 with 30 full and the hex screw in the rib. I haven't shot it yet, but after following these threads for a while I did the replacements needed. I just did a disassemble and replaced the o-ring and bolt slide buffer. When I put it back together, I cannot get the bolt to lock to the rear. What did I do wrong?

I've read almost 100 pages of the winchester 180 page forum, and I look forward to learning more from each of you. I thought I had a good handle on it and now I cant even put it back together properly haha! any help would be great. I'm in Baltimore county btw, and hope to comment and join these discussions more!

Post subject: Re: new SX1 owner with qustions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:26 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
you may need to shave the buffer a little. it may be proud and sitting out of the plug hole some and keeping it from going back far enough to lock.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://606f79f3c2431.site123.me/
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes. Make sure that it’s fully seated in the hole. I use a “1 inch wood dowel and a mallet to make sure it’s seated all the way home while the frame is in a vise. Some after market buffers may need some trimming

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:07 am 
Utility Grade

That was it. I had to tap it with a dowel rod to get it to seat well. I'm using the red on from Midwest gun works. As I was digging in there I also noticed that the return spring follower was etched where the bolt slide link looks to have slipped out of position and up into the receiver several times. I have a replacement but I'm not overly confident in my ability to pull off the stock and get that spring back in position. Is there any harm in just going shooting and seeing what it will do? thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pulling the stock isn’t difficult. After market followers are made of steel. You might as well do it and have your gun “right”. Before you unscrew the tube, stake a witness mark on it so that you can get back at exactly the same depth. Set it too deep and you won’t be able to get the link back into the cup on the follower

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:40 pm 
Field Grade

Are you SX1 owners using lock-tite on the action spring tube ? Got my SX1 in 2007, shoot it often and never used loc-tire, however recently been advised by a well respected smith that the tube should be fixed in place.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:45 am 
Presentation Grade

casonet wrote:
Pulling the stock isn’t difficult. After market followers are made of steel. You might as well do it and have your gun “right”. Before you unscrew the tube, stake a witness mark on it so that you can get back at exactly the same depth. Set it too deep and you won’t be able to get the link back into the cup on the follower

The spring follower I bought from NuLine a couple months ago is aluminum. Not a big deal, but it doesn't look like they offer a steel follower.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’ve seen both. The originals were aluminum. Aftermarket were mostly steel because they are more durable. As long as the link will stay in the follower cup, you should be fine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

The ones in the guns haven't been flipped yet, and I have a spare for each SX1, so I figure that ought to keep me going a while.