ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super-X 1 Buffer Dilemma
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:12 pm 
Field Grade

I installed the "red" buffer and now the bolt wont lock back. It will lock using a wooden dowel and rubber mallet and giving the bolt a sharp rap. Have y'all heard of anything like this? Could it be "run in" with a few rounds? Is it possible it's indicative of some other problem?
By the way, I did remove the stock and clean out all the crud. I got the gun recently, have not shot it yet because of what I read here on this forum. Anyway I took the trigger, bolt and all out, and there was no buffer. So I did everything according to the knowledge here and as I said, it will lock back with a jolt, but I cannot achieve enough inertia to lock it back by hand. It did lock back before the buffer, which is seated well against the back of the receiver in it's little nest. I's an early field model with striated trigger, rib screw, 28" mod barrel, white line Winchester butt pad (no white line on grip cap), s/n# 19xxx.
Thanks in advance,
Dave B

Post subject: Re: Super-X 1 Buffer Dilemma
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you’re absolutely sure it’s installed correctly and fully seated, then it’s probably just a hair out of spec by being too thick. I would guess that after firing a shell or two that it will seat in and work normally

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:13 pm 
Field Grade

casonet wrote:
If you’re absolutely sure it’s installed correctly and fully seated, then it’s probably just a hair out of spec by being too thick. I would guess that after firing a shell or two that it will seat in and work normally

Thank you Sir.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

When I seated mine I found a little light grease on the top of the action tube helped keep everything aligned between the time I placed the buffer and the time I could get lined up to strike it (I used a long socket extension).

But if it's misaligned even a bit, or maybe not seated all the way, you might get a little interference. As noted though, a few rounds and the bolt should beat it into place.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:50 pm 
Field Grade

Win50 wrote:
When I seated mine I found a little light grease on the top of the action tube helped keep everything aligned between the time I placed the buffer and the time I could get lined up to strike it (I used a long socket extension).

But if it's misaligned even a bit, or maybe not seated all the way, you might get a little interference. As noted though, a few rounds and the bolt should beat it into place.

Thank you as well Win50. I was hoping to hear just this.
Dave B

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I put in a red one last Friday and had the same issue. I put a dab of Vaseline on the nub and reseated it with the dowel, making sure to tap a few times around the edges to make sure it was fully seated. It worked like a charm.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Who is selling red ones? I’ve seen black and white, but not red.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

casonet wrote:
Who is selling red ones? I’ve seen black and white, but not red.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/USR29SX1 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

Dave,
When I install a new buffer I first clean the hole in the receiver and then clamp the receiver in a padded vise and then squirt the hole and the new buffer with brake cleaner, quickly align the cut out and drive the buffer home with a non rebounding mallet and a smart blow to a 3/4" dowel about 8 - 10" in length.
The brake cleaner lubricates the buffer for just a few seconds until it evaporates and then the buffer is locked in.

CT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:45 pm 
Field Grade

I was at work yesterday when I put the red buffer in. I thought it was seated but by the time I got home and took the gun out of it's sack, the buffer was rolling around in the receiver lol! Anyway I took it apart again and this time was a lot less bashful with the hammer (dead blow). It was still stubborn. When I finally got it to stay put, it was still to tall for the bolt to stay to the rear. Long story less long; One shell was all that was needed and all is well. Thanks for y'all's help!
Dave B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

Dave,

When you think it is installed you can look in the rear of the receiver to check and see if the mushroom section has come all the way thru the receiver and the edges are outside of the receiver hole.
If it took the firing of a round to get it back you did not get it there yourself.

CT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:15 am 
Field Grade

searun wrote:
Dave,

When you think it is installed you can look in the rear of the receiver to check and see if the mushroom section has come all the way thru the receiver and the edges are outside of the receiver hole.
If it took the firing of a round to get it back you did not get it there yourself.
CT

Roger that. Before I use, I will remove the stock to check this.
Thanks for the tip.
Dave B

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:35 pm 
Field Grade

I shot 50 shots at sporting clays Sunday and never noticed the modified choke. I missed 5 or 6 ( I was keeping track in my head) which is real good for me. The gun never hiccupped, and I really like it. The gun club had Gamebore 7 1/2s with the light blue hulls; I didn't look at the weight. I also had new, never used prescription Randolph Ranger Edge glasses and saw the birds better than ever too. I think that might have had more to do with hitting 44 or 45 than the superx1! It did fit me though and shot where I was looking.
Thanks for the feedback y'all.