ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: solid ribs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:38 am 
Utility Grade

Being the owner of numerous model 12's, all gauges, ages and configurations. All shooters no safe queens. I've always wondered why the older solid ribs are so much lower than vent ribs. Is there a reason for it? thanks in advance. beaglemusic

Post subject: Re: solid ribs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

If the solid rib was any higher the receiver extension could not be screwed on or off. If you notice after market vent rib barrels always come with the receiver extension (and adjusting sleeve lock)installed.

Bobcat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

The solid ribs were built that way so when looking down the receiver with the gun mounted, the rib was the same height as the receiver making an even sight plain from the top of the receiver to the end of the barrel.

Factory Solid Rib Model 12's don't have a receiver extension.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

By receiver extension I mean this part. https://www.midwestgunworks.com/winches ... nsion.html You are probably referring to the "duck bill" section of rib mounted on top of the receiver.

Bobcat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:07 am 
Diamond Grade

Odd way to ask why vent ribs exist. The SR runs at receiver height, about like the round barrels. At the muzzle the difference in elevation - round vs SR - is minimal. The profiles differ (flat vs round).

Seems like half a century ago I was reading about the rationale for the VR. Supposedly, it was to reduce mirage by way of sight plane elevation and reduced barrel heat transfer. Shooters got used to the elevated sight plane. Stockers and gunmakers adjusted drop as needed. Now seems you can't sell a gun without one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:27 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the input. Of the PB,SR and VR's, the SR is my least favorite for use and looks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

The solid rib is my favorite. There is no right answer of course, but one advantage of a solid rib on a M12 or 42 is that you are much more certain that it’s factory. I know there are fake SRs out there, but not like VRs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Several years ago there was a gunsmith in New York State reportedly using the original Winchester equipment to install solid ribs. I sent my plain barreled Model 42 to him and had it done. The shop went by the name of “Andy’s.” When the gun was returned to me the rib was slightly misaligned with the receiver. Before I could send it back to be corrected the owner closed the door and just walked out of the shop. Lots of guys spent months trying to get their guns back. I heard the ATF even got involved.

The solid rib was appropriate for the year my gun was manufactured (1949). According to Ned Schwing the ventilated rib wasn’t available until several years later.